best temperature

minkman

Reaction score
about 4 or 5 degrees .mine is set on 5 and they last at least a week but dont forget 2 riddle of the casters and put it a bag they should last as well.

guest61

Reaction score
Re: Best Temperature

Whats the best temperature for keeping maggot in s fridge , so they don't turn if kept for a week

To be honest I don't know what temperature our fridge runs at, but a 'chill temperature' is accepted as being between 2 and 5 degC. If storing maggots in a fridge, put them in a plastic bag, squeezing the air out of it before sealing it. I have had maggots stored for 2 weeks like this - I suppose you could store them for longer but I've never needed to.

The maggots look like they've died, when needed, open the bag and decant into a bait box as they warm up the maggots will return to their wiggly ways.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Maggots take around 900 degree hours before they turn to Caster.

So, do the math; 24 hours x say 4° = 96 degree/hours.

Therefore, if bought fresh on 'delivery day' from your tackle shop then they should last between 8 and 9 days if kept like that.

Longer if the 'fridge is cooler of course . . . . .

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Thanks
My old bait fridge "died" about 4 years ago and I've just got a "new" 2nd hand bait fridge and freezer.
I've got the setting between 3 and 4 but I was thinking of putting a small cheap thermometer in the fridge part to monitor the temperature

dangermouse

Reaction score
My bait fridge is very cold, it`s a bit prone to icing up but it seems to be a good thing. I have some maggots in there left over from the PaSC fish in and they`re fine.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
My bait fridge is at about 4-5 degrees and maggots can last 3-4weeks (although hopefully get used before that length of time).

The fridge also has my daughters tortoises (x3) in it now, to keep them safe for their over-winter hibernation. So i have to warm it slightly to about 5 or 6 degrees. A fridge is the best place for them these days, now that lofts and sheds can get warm in winter.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The tip about squeezing the air out is a good one, I tend to open the bag, give them a shake and then reseal it every 24 hours.

Kept like this I have had maggots last all week on the bank without refrigeration even in the summer months. I just keep the bags in a bucket in the shade.