EA License

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
While down in Wales I found a stream that flows into the sea and walking the bank have spotted several, what I assume to be, brown trout. My fishing license allows fishing for: Non-migratory trout, char, freshwater (coarse) fish, smelt and eels

Would this include these fish and do I have to "fly fish" for them? Something I have yet to try. Or do I need the alternate license?

In the unlikely event of me actually catching one, is there a minimum size that can be taken to eat?

Don't normally have this problem with Carp or Barbel as they're generally big enough for the pot :D;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
As I understand it Ian, your coarse licence allows you to target brown trout and all other coarse fish. The game licence allows you to target salmon and sea trout (migratory).
Jerry

barisaxman

Reaction score
Thats when the season is open, of course. the trout and salmon seasons are now closed in Wales. BTW those fish could have been sea trout. What stream was it?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Thats when the season is open, of course. the trout and salmon seasons are now closed in Wales. BTW those fish could have been sea trout. What stream was it?

From the sizes of the ones I saw, 200-250mm (8"-10" in "real money") I would think they are too small for sea trout, the stream is just outside Saundersfoot but as you say, the 17th October would appear to be the "cut-off" date for brownies.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wild Welsh trout are strange beasts. On an upland river I fished as a lad the trout were full grown at about half a pound. This was down to the poor diet and lack of flylife in the acidic waters. We would however occasionally catch the odd one around the two pound mark, these were almost like a different species being much darker in colour and having a heavily kyped jaw.
When gutted these fish were inevitably cannibalistic having the remains of one or more small fish in their gut, I once had one with three smaller fish in it, all in different stages of digestion.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A cannibal trout skull can be a thing to behold. Here, in The Boote Archive, I have a skull of a three or so pounder picked up nearly forty years ago from the winter-droughted shallows of a tiny, spawning brook just above the spot where it entered a very wild, Welsh upland lake. ALL outrageously large, long, needle-like teeth, dozens of them - jaws, roof of mouth, tongue - all teeth in a huge, elongated, hook- and cross-jawed skull.

A Goliath tigerfish or one of Ripley's Aliens (and then some) in miniature and living in our midst.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Do what I would do and tickle the buggers!

Thus saving the cost of both tackle and a license, roll on the 20th March

A Goliath tigerfish or one of Ripley's Aliens (and then some) in miniature and living in our midst.

Can you tickle trout in chain mail gauntlets.

I suppose I could always trot a float for Roach or Dace in the meantime.

Thanks lads