new member from teesside

rubberducky

Reaction score
hi all,
first post so hello and look forward to using the site and having questions answered and helping answer if i can.

i fish for most species in the uk - well used to before i became a proud dad earlier this year...

i tried salmon spinning for the first time on the whitby esk and hooked and lost an estimated 14lber, gutted, so will have to try harder next year as ive a score to settle now. beautiful river the esk and my cousin whos guest i was for the day, is a lucky bloke fishing the fisheries association water down from glaisdale.

i last went coarse fishing with a work mate two weeks ago to dromonby farm near great broughton. i showed him a few things as hes an amateur, including scaling things down a bit and he got a few nice roach and small carp. before he broke his pole that is, oops... fishing can be a steep and expensive learning curve im afraid.:D

i caught a good 75lb total on both the method, clipped up to an island using groundbait and micros with fake corn on the hook, then switching to a 6m pole line id fed all morning they were que'ed up and i was surprised how good it fished maybe just 2 1/2 ft deep at this time of year. the snow today will have sealed it now though...

look forward to exchanging stories and ideas with you all.

tight lines

rubberducky...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Welcome to FM rubberducky, was going to shorten it to just half your name but wasn't sure which half you'd prefer.
Jerry

rubberducky

Reaction score
Is there a maggotdrowners/fishing magic exchange program running?
Hello, rubberducky.;)

ha. hello sam.
i might need more than one site to get me thru this long winter, (i dont fish at all really during winter as the fish need their rest from me. hehe..) so i thought id try this one as well as good ole mders.
gonna see how good an answer i get from some of these guys - and gals? as usual i have plenty of questions...

thanks for the welcome all...:thumbs:

rubberducky...

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Hello and welcome. Youre almost an endangered species (coming from the NE) on FM ;)

Winter fishing; why not fish the rivers, you have some great winter fishing on the Tees and Swale close by?

As for salmon fishing, its not all its cracked up to be, at least not as an edible fish. A friend gave me some Wear salmon fillets recently and it was probably the most badly tasting fish Ive ever had since I had what was called 'rock salmon' when down in London for a Wembley RL Cup final game in the 60's - yes it was THAT bad.

A 25 year chub would have made better eating.

rubberducky

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Youre almost an endangered species (coming from the NE) on FM ;)

Winter fishing; why not fish the rivers, you have some great winter fishing on the Tees and Swale close by?

As for salmon fishing, its not all its cracked up to be, at least not as an edible fish. A friend gave me some Wear salmon fillets recently and it was probably the most badly tasting fish Ive ever had since I had what was called 'rock salmon' when down in London for a Wembley RL Cup final game in the 60's - yes it was THAT bad.

A 25 year chub would have made better eating.

ha. id try chub as a starter before the salmon...
my cousin seems to think the salmon is the be all and end all of uk fish in regards to the power of the fight.
he hasnt let me take him course/commercial carp fishing yet.
i cant wait to see the look on his face after he hooks an angry 5 or 6 lb turbo mirror or ghostie on some of the waters i fish. hell think hes into a twenty pounder for sure as they dont wanna come up and the harder you pull, the harder they pull.

watch this space. the esk will be full of carp after he feels the force.... joke...btw...

id like to fish the wear some time or in fact any river through the winter but i prefer the smell of drying paint and plaster in the cold season. ive also got about 20 fishing dvds my wife has bought for me so they along with forums, will get me through till march.

tight lines

rubberducky...