bread crumb

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I save old bread to liquidise, how long does it save in a fridge , after a couple of weeks I put the bread crumb under the grill to dry it out, but will it last longer in the fridge

Bluenose

Reaction score
It lasts ages if you dry it out first m'lud.

I throw mine in a landing net or bucket in the garage, spread it out and let it dry out and go proper stale. It doesn't go mouldy as quick, especially in winter.

You'll also find if you use stale bread for mashed bread it's not as sticky and doesn't stick to your hands as much when you chuck it in.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Only after a good few weeks... whereas if you leave the bread in a bag, even in the fridge it'll go mouldy quite quickly.

When mine does get a bit of mould on in the garage it seems to be more of a dark dusting on the surface as opposed to being green/blue right through the whole piece when in the fridge or left on the bag.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Have you got a CH boiler that you can stand a biscuit tin on or something? If so, put the slices of bread on that where the CH can dry it out superfast. Once it's as dry as a bone you can crumb it in a food mixer and sift for the finer bits, regrind the bigger bits and sift again. Once it's absolutely dry it will NOT go mouldy unless you keep it in damp conditions. Bag it in plastic freezer bags and just keep it somewhere dry.

peterjg

Reaction score
Another alternative method is to put the bread in an old landing net and hang it up to dry in your greenhouse - works well.