Nanofil fishing line

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has any member used this product for any kind of angling yet and if so how does it perform overall.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are a few threads on the stuff kicking about. I'm not quite as negative about it as many. However, I will say that you have to be ridiculously careful about any knots you put in it. Use the wrong knot and it'll snap like cotton. Tie the right knot badly, it'll snap like cotton. All in all, the negatives outweigh the positives.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of my fishing friends had some problems with the knotting of this line so he gave me the rest of the spool to see if I could come up with a answer and the easiest way is to use a shock leader with a double albright and that works well but any knot that goes onto a hook other than a doubled knotless will fail even if glued . When testing knots in this line the jerk test is a must as a steady pull test can be misleading but the jerk is the acid test. I have many hours try all manner of knots and have struggled to find a knot as such that will work a clue is on the spool as to how difficult it is when they rate a double paloma at 71% normally rated at above 95% to 100% for a single paloma the albright copes very well but needs to be tied into a 20lbd mono for best results the other conection shown on the spool is what I call a pigs tail and this works well as no knot as such is formed. The americans have a knot called a sebile knot but it takes several minutes to tie but they reckon it is very good if tied properly. All the knots that I have tried go at the beginning of the barrel or just inside and these have been double and single in the same knot glued and unglued. One american site after testing it three times in a year said soon to be found in the bargain basement.

Last edited:

David Dalton

Reaction score
I bought a spool to try for river float fishing. It does work quite well for that - it floats well, you can see it easily on the surface of the water, and because it does not cling to the water's surface to the same extent as mono, it is easy to mend the line. In windy weather though, it does tend to blow about easily, being very light.

As far as knots are concerned, I use the double palomar lubricated with lip salve, and haven't had any problems so far. I tie a micro swivel to the end of the nanofil, and tie the monofilament hooklength to that.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought a spool to try for river float fishing. It does work quite well for that - it floats well, you can see it easily on the surface of the water, and because it does not cling to the water's surface to the same extent as mono, it is easy to mend the line. In windy weather though, it does tend to blow about easily, being very light.

As far as knots are concerned, I use the double palomar lubricated with lip salve, and haven't had any problems so far. I tie a micro swivel to the end of the nanofil, and tie the monofilament hooklength to that.

I will give it a go and let you know but berkley themselves only rate the double palomar at 71% that is at least 25% below the normal rating for that knot in its single form.

chav professor

Reaction score
Sorry, never been a fan of berkley...... There best products are the braids for lure fishing. The mono is always a disaster area for me - as for their fluorocarbon....

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, never been a fan of berkley...... There best products are the braids for lure fishing. The mono is always a disaster area for me - as for their fluorocarbon....

I have used Berkley since about 77 started with trilene and have never had a problem with any of their lines mono or braid up till this Nanofil there has also been some talk in the USA about it seperating as well as the knotting problem I think they need more developement there have been problems with a couple of the latest hybrid lines in the last twelve months.