Fishing the Trent

kickstart

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just my second post so go easy on me.:D

I really fancy trying the Trent for Barbel but I have little idea where to start fishing. I have done some research and found out about the sheer numbers at Collingham and some of the problems that can cause. I do however fancy the tidal Trent, but I am open to suggestions.

Where should I be looking? I would prefer somewhere the Car will be safe from Cows and 2 legged problems. Car on the bank or behind a locked gate would be perfect.

I think I would prefer a club rather than day ticket even though I live near Keighley in West Yorkshire providing it's not silly money.

thanks in advance

Kickstart

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
hiya mate......you'll have no probs at collingham now the winters here...all the idiots seem to vanish..along with the sun....i fish it nearly every week....there is a lot of water to choose from....and at £5 for 24hrs....is without doubt the best barbel fishery in the country of its type...if you fancy a session..message me....and ' i'll point you in the right direction....ie..meet you there..and show you the ropes.

kickstart

Reaction score
Cheers Stuart, I will send you a pm later.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on Clubs, perhaps Scunthorpe Pisces?

cheers
Kickstart

shelly

Reaction score

You won’t go far wrong with Scunthorpe Pisces book Kickstart, they have some very good waters to go at on the Trent and at times you can have the banks to yourself during the week. Some of them you can park your car behind you on others you can't but I have never found it being a problem. Have a look on their website mate, for £35 or so its worth it for the Trent alone.

B

Berty

hiya mate......you'll have no probs at collingham now the winters here...all the idiots seem to vanish..along with the sun....i fish it nearly every week....there is a lot of water to choose from....and at £5 for 24hrs....is without doubt the best barbel fishery in the country of its type...if you fancy a session..message me....and ' i'll point you in the right direction....ie..meet you there..and show you the ropes.

This isn't meant as a dig, i'm genuinly interested as to why someone from Hertfordshire would fish the Trent so often?.......you pass so many wonderful waters.

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
the reason for my fishin the trent mate..is that i am working at east mids airport....and am staying localy.....but fished it for last few years anyway...is a great bit of river...

Reaction score
Click on 'User CP' (near top left)

Scroll down the Control Panel on the left and click 'Edit Options'

On the main screen in Messaging & Notification' tick the 'Enable Private Messaging' tick box.

Scroll down to the bottom and click 'Save Changes'

You might wish to review and change other options while you are there.

godsdice

Reaction score
Cheers Stuart, I will send you a pm later.

cheers
Kickstart

I wouldn't bother as there best tidal stretch has no vehicle access and £35 a year to fish Lady Pitt or have a hike with your gear when other clubs with better stretches that are cheaper means i certainly wont be renewing.
Coates is a death trap as far as the banks go and there was a near accident there a few weeks ago, Torksey island is basically a bog with 1 'semi decent' peg if you are prepared to chuck long, Rampton Island is fantastic but a half a mile hike over a field and fences and the same goes for south clifton. Lady Pitt is their 'jewel in the crown' but doesn't have that many easy pegs in terms of getting into them to fish apart from the first 6-7 below the weir. On top of this you can only night fish Rampton and Torksey, so any 24+ hour sessions are a no no unless you fancy poor fishing or a hike.
If you are interested in fishing the tidal you would be better off with a Cottem/EDF book or Scunthorpe AA book both at £15

kickstart

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother as there best tidal stretch has no vehicle access and £35 a year to fish Lady Pitt or have a hike with your gear when other clubs with better stretches that are cheaper means i certainly wont be renewing.
Coates is a death trap as far as the banks go and there was a near accident there a few weeks ago, Torksey island is basically a bog with 1 'semi decent' peg if you are prepared to chuck long, Rampton Island is fantastic but a half a mile hike over a field and fences and the same goes for south clifton. Lady Pitt is their 'jewel in the crown' but doesn't have that many easy pegs in terms of getting into them to fish apart from the first 6-7 below the weir. On top of this you can only night fish Rampton and Torksey, so any 24+ hour sessions are a no no unless you fancy poor fishing or a hike.
If you are interested in fishing the tidal you would be better off with a Cottem/EDF book or Scunthorpe AA book both at £15

Hi, thanks for the heads up. Having the motor safe is important these days so that would tip the balance. It's not that I cannot or will not hike to a good pitch. Have you any contact details for the Cottem club? I am not local, I just fancy fishing the Trent. I think I would prefer a club book rather than a day ticket though.

cheers
Kickstart

B

binka

If you're still on the lookout the island at Newark usually throws up quite a few fish and you can park behind your peg with day tickets £5 on the bank, it does get heavily fished during summer but has dropped off a bit now and i've had some nice fish over the last week or two.

The average size of the barbel there is good and you'll need the strong gear to get 'em out when you hit a decent one, bare minimum 8lb Mainline but preferably 10.

If it's fishing hard forget the 5oz leads to mid-river and let a light lead roll to the nearside shelf and hold on!

Good luck.