D300

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Monk ( or Cakey )can you recomend a compact camera, I'm looking for some thing to slip into the pocket, I have a fuji 602 but like allSLR type camera's there big. There are so many compact's on the market I'm finding it difficult to choose, I've been looking at the Cannon G9 but it's a bit more than I wanted to spend on a compact.

I would be gratful for any idea's.

The Monk

Reaction score
Hi jeff, I`m really not sure mate, the technology appears to be moving at an incredible rate, I`m sure the old Nikon film camras didnt move this fast, you can now pick up a sigma 14MPS for £600, its not just about MPS of course but it helps, I predict we`ll see 20 plus MPS in the next 10 years as standard, I think whatever you buy jeff alway be [repared to maybe have to change it a few years down the line.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the technology moving fast, I've seen 14mps to, I think they will hit 20mps real quick. It make's the camera's all most disposable, one or two year's and there out of date.

The Monk

Reaction score
yes disposable,when i bought my D100 i paid £1200 for it I think it was about 2003, its 6.2 MPS

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Trade it in on a new D300 there sure to give you top dollar on old one, then all you need to find is the other £900 /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif. I think it's the same with pc's, a few year's then through them in the bin.

The Monk

Reaction score
I`ve got the D200 too, you can pick up reconditioned D100s up for a few hundred quid now

The Monk

Reaction score
based on present technology, what is the limit of MPS in 35mm format?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Popular premise is that 35mm fine grain film is roughly equal to 25 mps.

The Monk

Reaction score
yes I`ve just heard that Graham, thanks, I don`t expect it will take long to get to that level either, I expect my the time the D5 comes out they will have hit it, so its looks like I`1ll have to buy at least one more camera before my retirement.

The Monk

Reaction score
well yes but its moving fast mate and has a culmulative/exponential effect of course

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I still think it's down to what you need the camera for; for the internet 3mps will do the job, for 6x4 or 7x5 prints then a 5mps compactwill do. For pro's then 10mps+ is essential but for the average snapper £2000+ (body plus lenses) cameras are crazy because you simply will never use that capability unless you are doing double page spreads in magazines. The biggest prints I've done on 35mm is 18x12 which is just starting to lose the sharpness. Perhaps Ron can explain why he needs a D300; I know why Graham and Monk need one but that's different!

If you need really big prints in digital then you move up in format.

W

Wolfman Woody

The only reason Monk wants one is image.

Not the image rendered by the camera, but the image he projects walking around with it.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
hahahahahahahaha, its called street cred Woody/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Cakey fancy telling everyone what you got in your pocket /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif.

What about this compact cannon G9 12.1 mps, image stabilizer, 3.0" LCD screen, £250, all singing and dancing.

12.1 mps on a compact !