The Thames

aebitim

Reaction score
Ive got an itch I need to scratch
My early fishing was centered on the Thames around Reading, and I didnt manage to get further upstream than Wallingford.
Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding day ticket waters around and above Oxford, It would be nice to catch some roach, bream and maybe the odd chub.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The stretch that immediately springs to mind for is at Pangbourne at Beale park. Some good roach, chub and bream fishing on a day ticket on the bank.
I hear Donnington bridge in Oxford is also throwing up some good roach.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I hear Donnington bridge in Oxford is also throwing up some good roach.
And you can get tickets (and bait) from Fat Phils just around the corner on the Abingdon Road. You can also get a ticket there for my little backwater stretch that runs on the opposite side of the island (Iffley Meadows) to the main Thames. It's the Weirs Mill Stream, ask Phil. Can be good, but needs flow which it should have at the moment.

Failed member of Jeffs cliquy club..
Yes, if you passed you could have a ticket that would allow you to fish the stream.... Still, we must maintain standards..... ;)

This is it! Or rather, this new fish pass comes off my stretch and will feed the lower part of my fishery, below the Donnington bridge.

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
£4 for a day ticket from the farmer at the Rose Revived (Newbridge) stretch and some very good fishing there. Much quieter than the central Oxford areas.

You can park in the Maybush pub car park and walk straight out onto the bank.

aebitim

Reaction score
I can feel a tour of the Thames coming on, many thanks for the replies gents