Angling coaches

R

Roto Fryer

interesting to note that a level 2 angling coach has a qualification the equivelent to a GCSE grade a-c; in old money that is an O level. This is enough to class you as a professional coach/teacher of angling.

don't get me wrong as i don't knock any educational qualification and these qualifications don't include experience.

any thoughts?

any qualified coaches care to comment?

this information was obtained from

The Angling Development Board

the real issue here is that if these qualifications are not too difficult then why is there not a coach attached to every club in the country? and why are all youngsters not required to complete a coaching course in the various fishing disciplines before being allowed to fish?

making good habits before bad ones are learnt is surely the way to go?

am i just getting old?

Andyw

Reaction score
Go find out for yourself.... Not enough info I'm afraid /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

E

EC

Roto, in answering your query, I have paraphrased you to some extent, merely to answer the many individual points you make. I have triednot to ‘change’ what you have said in any way, so if I have chopped out a paragraph at the wrong point, apologies, I am not point scoring.

interesting to note that a level 2 angling coach has a qualification the equivelent to a GCSE grade a-c; in old money that is an O level. This is enough to class you as a professional coach/teacher of angling.”

When one considers that most of us here were taught by non–qualified personnel, to have qualified coaches available now is a huge bonus. When one considers the very basics of angling, then the actual course content is actually quite advanced. The point is that all sports operate the same system by and large, so a Level 1 or 2 in 1 sport undertakes roughly the same amount of work as in another. This was passed by the same body which ratifies GCSE’s A levels etc. (QCA at the time I think ) Hence a uefa B footy qualification is a lot more than teaching a kid how to kick a footy, believe it or not there are several different ways to do this. So an angling qualificationis not just about tackling up, putting a maggot on a hook and casting out.

"don't get me wrong as i don't knock any educational qualification and these qualifications don't include experience. "

The course does include experience, if I am not mistaken aside from classroom study it is 60 hours to include logged coaching experience before you can obtain a pass.

"1. the real issue here is that if these qualifications are not too difficult

2. then why is there not a coach attached to every club in the country? "

1. Firstly actually take the course yourselfand then decide if it is difficult or not. At this point, no disrespect intended, you are not qualified to judgehow 'difficult' it is. Or like most anglersyou can choose not to take the course, and there you have the answer to number 2. Essentially people/adults want to go fishing and cannot be ar5ed with kids, hence there is not a coaching set up at every club.

"and why are all youngsters not required to complete a coaching course in the various fishing disciplines before being allowed to fish?"

Good question, but ask yourself this, if this were the case how many kids would be turned away from fishing if they had to do this? Angling as a sport I believe has nomatch in the equality stakes. You can be tall/fat/short/slow/fast academically brilliant or illiterate, yet you can still be good at angling. As it is many clubs do provide courses for kids, 'The Kingfsher' award was one I think, but again it is not a pre-requisite.

"making good habits before bad ones are learnt is surely the way to go?"

Correct, which is why more coaches are needed.Thosewho put themselves out, often at their own expense to help kids out and give them the right start deserve ourtotal respect.

"am i just getting old?"

Dunno, one thing though, some people reckon thathelping kids out in the right environment will make you feel younger!

Hope this helps.

T

trev matthews (100M bronze)

yes but just try getting on a coaching course. Ive been trying to get on one for the last 6 months and i keep getting told by Pershore College that they are waiting for an answer from the instructor or there are not enough students interested to make it worthwhile before loading anyone on the next course. I run an after school club in angling but he head wont let me take anyone fishing until Ive got the qual. How frustrating is that ?

E

EC

Trev have a look at the other thread started by Iain Riley, there are other avenues for you to explore rather than just one college.

Schools have to vet everyone who works with kids mate, and tutors who are qualified to actually put people through the course have generally been thin on the ground, but I think it depends where you are based.

Some regionshave lots of coach tutors, others less so, phone the EA orNFA there will almost certainly be opportunities in a neighbouring county.

W

Wolfman Woody

Got to agree with Trev to some extent. I've been waiting for an opportunity for two years now with the EA funding it. It's in their interests after all.

I have NOT been holding my breath.

Where did you get that guff about the Joint Angling Development Board, Roto?

The JADB was set up last year, bit of a stitch up in the first place from what I've heard. There's little new information about them (what else to expect) on t'Internet, just old guff. Are they now in charge of coaching? Lord help us.

E

EC

I might be wrong Jethro, but when I was last involved, say 4/5 years ago,if I remember rightlythere needed to be a minimum number of anglers to make the courses cost effective, the combination of cost/course content and commitment at the time made itquite prohibitive for some anglerswho wished to take part.

R

Roto Fryer

no fishing courses out here in Thailand Eddie.

i was surprised that a coaching qualification was rated so low down the educational scale and did not want to only emphasise that point.

this is where i saw the information & interestingly enough they show coaching qualifications going up to level 5 although i can find no info above level 2.

the level 2 course is 40 hours taught and a similar amount of self studyaccording to what i have read. Level 1 is 15 hours

personally i would of thought coaches attached to clubs and the running of coaching sessions for youngsters with a nominal fee would make a lot more parents feel comfortable that their children were actually learning in a supervised & safe way and may even get more parents and children doing something together.

some of the more enlightened pensioners may even be delighted at supervising youngsters during the holiday whilst ensuring the future of their respective clubs

E

EC

It wasn't a pop mate, as said in my first post.

The original model was supposed to go from 1-5 I think, with your coaching assistant at Level 1 andthe Team England Manager supposedly being at the top end of the scale Level 5 if memory serves me right.

Not sure what has happened between now and then mind I have been out of the loop for a good while. Thelower part of thesystem Level 1 and 2 was up and running quite quickly and reasonably succesfully. The upper end I think relied on a few key personnel, whom possibly did not carry things through as originally planned, or it might just be it has not been highlighted.

R

Roto Fryer

never saw it as a pop Eddie if you ask a question you must expect a direct answer, if indeed there is one!

E

EC

The bottom line is though lads, if there was a huge demand for people to become coaches, the tutors would be found.

E

EC

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Roto Fryer wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

personally i would of thought coaches attached to clubs and the running of coaching sessions for youngsters with a nominal fee would make a lot more parents feel comfortable that their children were actually learning in a supervised & safe way and may even get more parents and children doing something together.</blockquote>
That's the perfect model Roto, I think the problem is though, as ever, is volunteers!

R

Roto Fryer

trev try and contact this person she may be able to help you

Angela Woodgate

Angling Development Board

National Water Sports Centre
Adbolton Lane
Holme Pierrepont
Nottingham
NG12 2LU

Telephone: 0115 9813535 – Option 6

Fax: 0115 9819039

email: [email]angela.woodgate@nfadirect.com[/email]

R

Roto Fryer

if i was retired i could think of very little that is better than teaching youngsters about a sport that you love. free fishing and keeps you up to date on current music etc lol

C

Cakey

I cant think of anything worse in this day and age of the PC mob

C

Cakey

if I had a small child that wanted to fish I would want to know that my coach had been vetted (cant remember the right term ) before I let him near my child