Wintle?s World ? Self-take Photography

The Monk

Reaction score
excellent article Mark, yes its always been a difficult area that of self photography with fish, I must say I do like the idea of the swievel screen, in the old days of course we used the bankstick frame method as you mention, when autofocus came on the market and affordable motorwinders, life became a lot easier, by preferance was a specialy adapted cable release with a large bulb placed under the unhooking mat and operated bn the knee, hence you could set the camera on continuous release and just fire away, never been to keen on the timer though especially with large carp, your photographs look very good though Mark

W

Wolfman Woody

I think it's all those down the right hand side.

W

Wolfman Woody

It doesn't always help to have a cameraman taking the photo and chub can be most uncooperative as seen here -
/members/images/6812/Gallery/nicks-1.JPG

/members/images/6812/Gallery/nicks-2.JPG

Howzat?

Keith M

Reaction score
Just Guessing of course but:

Picture 1: Hand Held (unless you had a tall bankstick or tri/mono pod).
Picture 2: Self Taken (Cropped slightly and with small fill-in flash shadow)
Picture 3: Hand Held (Nice shot which nicely includes the elastic stretching).
Picture 4: Self Taken: (Nice low shot Using Flash)
Picture 5: Self Taken (Nice low shot)
Picture 6: Hand Held (Crooked background and badly cropped).
Picture 7: Self Taken (nicely setup but slightly too much Background).
Picture 8: Hand Held: (Nice shot of Chub but Horizon on the squiff).

Probably 0/8 but only a guess.

Nice article.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Very good piece Mark and excellent advice for those who want to take that type of shot.

This type of picture, the trophy shot,is not true angling photography. I say this in the face of having done Many thousands of such pictures in the past covering a time span of over 50 years using cameras from Kodak Brownie 127s to Nikon D300s and on 3 continents too.

The truth of the matter guys is that if you want really good angling photographs you are going to have to spend days in the field without your tackle. And it might take hours, if not days waiting for that shot of shots.

I remember a time at old **** Walker's fishing hut when **** told meto watch out and to avoid getting the photo bug if I wanted lots of good fish. I'm afraid that catching fish and getting good fishing shots do not go together.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron,

This type of shot is essential for those that want to illustrate 'how-to' articles whether on the internet, newspapers or magazines, and of course books. Two of these shots are in Pole Fishing. For a mastyer of self takes see Terry Lampard though Tim Norman helps out some of the time. Whetehr they are 'true' angling photography is debatable though I'd argue that these are important.

When I've done photoshoots with Graham the fishing has to take second place for one of us though we both get to fish some of the time, usually when the shots are done.

No one yet has the right answer though some guesses are correct. All are cropped to a greater or lesser degreee and the horizons were far from horizontal in reality due to sloping flood banks.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Of course they are important Mark. And I have done plenty make no mistake.

It takes me back to a day on the Leam with Tony Miles who is as keen an angler as they come, yet even he put his rods down to take pictures when the light and the sky were perfect. I think he even put a shot of me roach fishing in one of the mags.

But trophy shots are more pictorial records than angling photography.

An analogy would be the difference between the victorious picture of the team captain recieving the cup to the shot of the actual winning goal.

The Monk

Reaction score
I will Mark, yes its definantely you on the photographs/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I would guess at pics 2 and 6 being taken by someone else.
Whenever i get other anglers to take mine (other than a few who i fish with) the results always come out worse than when i do self-takes!

Good article, very informative and shows what can be done with a tripod and a bit of practice. Have managed to get a few cover shots on self-takes, action shots are the worse as it is difficult to get the framing right.

The Monk

Reaction score
"Whenever i get other anglers to take mine (other than a few who i fish with) the results always come out worse than when i do self-takes!"

haha, yes I use to have some mates like that, I think they were just jealous/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

get closer ,get f******g closer is what I shout out all the time

they stand two miles away and still cut the tail off

The Monk

Reaction score
hahahahahahah, I`ve had that problem

Right now press the button love???

what

the button, press the button

wheres the button

there on the top you stupid bink

press the F**king button

your not talking to me like that!!!

to which they usually storm off

hench why I dont have many photographs

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Yeah, have had a few nice scenics in the past and if you look really closely there is a bloke with a fish in one corner!

One problem have had in the past with self-takes is the camera focusing on the wrong thing - either set the focus manually or make sure that you or the fish are in the centre of the shot. Have had a few chub pics where I've held them out to one side and the camera has focused on the bushes behind me instead! Often can't see how sharp the shot is on the screen on the camera.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

"Fill the frame could you?"

"The frame - what's the frame?"

"The viewfinder"

"What's the viewfinder?"

"The damn thing you are looking through!!"

"What am I supposed to be looking through?"

"The bloody hole in the f***** thing?"

"Oh you mean the hole at the front".

"No that's the lens - I mean the viewfinder hole..........."

75%*(^))(^_^(_*&$££"£"!!!!!

Seriously, I have met people in my life with Ph.Ds, who are pilots, high ranking captains of industry, surgeons, computer programmers, physicists and mathematicians and they can't even operate simple bit of kit such as a single lens reflex camera set on point and shoot mode.

And even when they manage some sort of picture, you arean out of focus and camera shook blob in the middle of a mass of green jelly.

W

Wolfman Woody

Can't beat a good strong bankstick and Terry Eustace's swivel head converter.
Bankstick_Monopod.jpg