Record 76.3kg Giant Mekong Catfish!

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Plenty of far bigger ones than that have been caught - sure there was one around 330 lb reported recently - but most aren't claimed as a record. You can see in the pics that they had all the proper IGFA gear to weigh it.
Apparantly they fight incredibly hard, much more so than Wels cats, and many of the big ones are lost.

M

MarkTheSpark

The last time I landed anything that ugly it was after six pints and a curry

Edward Bailey 2

Reaction score
This is an amazing fish! You have to remember these fish fight twice as hard as the wels catfish

M

MarkTheSpark

Not decrying the captor, but I've seen better looking bogies...

Edward Bailey 2

Reaction score
I had a few off these mekongs at bung sam laeng thailand, they are incredible fighters and go like a steam train. I hooked one which was estimated at between 200 and 250 lb, unfortunatly my tackle wasn't up too it. This is a very powerful fish, until you've been attached to one off these you haven't experienced a powerful fish!...

M

MarkTheSpark

Er, what about people who've hooked 250lb tarpon, or billfish, or tropical sharks, or 100lb mahseer?

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I've heard that lau lau catfish in Surinam go pretty well as well, plus they're in a wild river.

John John 6

Reaction score
Tarpon, Sharks and Billfish are all typically captured off a boat, and toa large extend the boat does a big part of the battling. But even if you was to put a tarpon or similar in a still lake and copare it pound for pound it wouldn't fight as hard for as long.

You have to understand that the Mekongs power comes from its design, a huge tail, and even bigger anal fin which combine together to displace so much water in a single sweep of the tail that you just cannot fight back!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Oops! I didn't read the accompanying story, I just remembered the link!