Hello from Belgium

jns513

Reaction score
Hello fellas,

I'm Jean-Noel from Belgium. I've been fishing since I'm 6. I'm also involved in a fishing trust in my region as secretary and editor of our little magazine.
I'm equally fishing sea and freshwater. In fact, it really depends on the moment of year : right now I'm looking for pikes and for big autumn barbels; cod during winter and spring; barbel, tench and carp during the warm season and many exceptions to the rule :) ...
I used to be a match angler (pole and waggler) but now, I'm more dedicated to specimen fishing with a nice feeder on the line.

Cheers !

jns513

Reaction score
Welcome Jean-Noel and what part of Belgium are you from?

Hello Jeff, I'm from the surroundings of Liège (South East), near few nice rivers such as the Meuse, the Ourthe, the Amblève and the Vesdre (well known for its huge trouts). That was quite impossible for me not to fish. My father taught me to catch roach, skimmers, ... and gave me the virus.

You know Belgium ? You've been there ?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You know Belgium ? You've been there ?
Many, many times, but not that far east. I worked for a while for a company with a chemical plant at Zelzate and used to stay in Gent or (going the other way) Sas-van-Gent in Zeeland. Also had a dealership with a company in Brussels and we tripped mainly around the Flemish parts, Brugge, Antwerppen areas quite a bit. I think Leuven (a pilgrimage for beer drinkers although anywhere in Belgium is great) was the furthest east I went.

jns513

Reaction score
Many, many times, but not that far east. I worked for a while for a company with a chemical plant at Zelzate and used to stay in Gent or (going the other way) Sas-van-Gent in Zeeland. Also had a dealership with a company in Brussels and we tripped mainly around the Flemish parts, Brugge, Antwerppen areas quite a bit. I think Leuven (a pilgrimage for beer drinkers although anywhere in Belgium is great) was the furthest east I went.

I have to say that I've never been in Zelzate. Shame on me :eek: Gent, Leuven, Brugge, Brussels, yes ! And I fished once these places at least, especially the marvellous little canal between Leuven and Mechelen (so good memories of championships). Belgium is a small country geographically speaking, but, indeed, what a nice place for beer. I love that :w Even with one beer a day and you'll spend quite some month, sorry, years to try them all. But a good bitter in a pub when I go to England is something I really like too !

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
Welcome Jean-Noël, well you have a very good specimen river in the Meuse. My mates fish it just near us over the border in France.
In fact we were out prospecting swims on Saturday for our campaing on Chub & Barbel for 2013. It has a very good reputation for big fish.
Even though I'm only 75kms from the Belgain border I've never fished there.

Hope your coming season goes well for big fish.
Regards
Gareth

keora

Reaction score
I once went to Liège to see an exhibition.

I walked on the bridge over the R. Meuse and was impressed by its size, but I couldn't see any anglers fishing.

Is the fishing any good in the Meuse?