Anyone make their e own baits?

blackout

Reaction score
Hello, I make all my own baits including pellets and boilie shapes some roll there own boilies using gardener rolling tables I roll by hand or use my spindle moulded rollers if I make a large batch (turned from grooved wooden rolling pins). I use a home made sausage gun too out of an empty silicone sealant cartridge with a piece of string on it to withdraw and my pellets are made with a large syringe extruded (or is that injected?) into split drinking straws.

I probably enjoy making baits as much as I enjoy fishing with them and it doesnt matter if they arnt uniform in size I dont think the fish care either way! :D

Any fellow DIY bait maker on here?

noknot

Reaction score
HiYa! I used too, but now my own mix is made for me By Goeff Bowers at ABS. With their machines it is so fast!

blackout

Reaction score
Hello noknot, either you use a lot of bait or you sell it perhaps?
think I put my foot in it there, nosey sod me, usually do no offence mate ;)

Yup just seen your signature oh dear!

benny samways

Reaction score
When you say you make pellets do you mean pellet shaped bait or do you actually make hard pellets?

I have been trying to find out how they make pellets for years but can never find anything.

blackout

Reaction score
That furkum hall a play on words right? :D like it your lordship!

How did your baits work out Paul did you catch mate?
i think its a confidence thing at first, just go fishing with nothing but what you make yourself you will catch and experiment to perfect what works and when at different times of the year!

Save yourself a fortune too, nothing better than catching a fish on what you make yourself. Fruit ones for winter seems to be better than meat or fishmeal thats what Ill be on never cook on high heat I just mash up and bind with soya isolate leave to air dry or airing cupboard.

Spring I have a few different ones custard powder and soaked pearl barley catch virtually anything with that about 1p each to make!!!

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 ----------

When you say you make pellets do you mean pellet shaped bait or do you actually make hard pellets?

I have been trying to find out how they make pellets for years but can never find anything.

the commercial ones are made with a hammer mill come out piping hot, too hot to hold and ruin the nutrients I think but you can glug them to revitalise with juices but yes pellet shaped baits, rods then use a home made cheese cutter with 6 wires attached to slice them into pellets. they are soft hookers at first and will go mouldy but air drying outside or airing cupboard dries them out and go rock hard benny. Softer ones are better though they mix with the water and fish can detect them easier at least thats what I think anyway.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The paste is made from ground down pellets and sweet corn put through a blender - it works well in summer in the margins for carp

the boilies have worked ok but not made any for a while

blackout

Reaction score
definitely higher proteins in summer for me when carp fishing, but bread also off the top our lass has just bought a bread maker so maybe looking for special recipes ;) corn too I used to think sweet corn was ordinary maize with added sugar,:eek: turns out its a variety all natural too no wonder its the tops!!!

peterjg

Reaction score
I used to make my own baits .....

"The Millenium Mix" - called because you got a run every thousand years

"Blue Moon" - a bite once in a .....................

"Insomnia" - that was a great bait, you didn't get any sleep

"Maradonna" - another great bait - I felt a bit of a cheat using it

"Epiphany" - worked well, it was one of those magical moments ...........

"Incontinence" - you had to keep getting up in the middle of the night .....

I've got a big bulldog clip full up with bait recipes going back 35 years. Most were absolutely useless with the odd one that did work well. My mate works in a tackle shop - I used to find it highly amusing when people went into the shop asking for some "Insomnia"!