Fishing...... Science or art?

chav professor

Reaction score
Found an interesting quote by the very eminent late scientist, Professor Barrie Rickards and it makes interesting reading.

'Science must, then, play a part in angling, as it plays a part in all our modern living. I am a scientist, a geologist, but I am firmly convinced that angling is not a science. Its an art. it adopts any useful criterion, adds to its repertoire, and welds it to the hunting instinct that is our natural heritage.

Accept and recognize that heritage, add science and you have an equation which succeeds; begin with scientific theory and you will make a poor angler.'

It is a thought provoking point of view from the standpoint that I am a scientist and apply elements of science in my approach - well, by saying that, I can justify or reason my approach in a number of circumstances.

I am also firmly of the belief that fishing is a difficult medium to apply scientific reasoning to draw firm conclusions as the variables that are beyond my control and the permutations of interactions between the many variations are infinitesimal.

It is possible to measure some of the variables: temperature, barometric pressure, light values, water turbidity, flow rates etc But I could never tie them together in a satisfactory way in-order to make logical sense. Beyond looking at general trends in the weather and the conditions as I expect to find them.... thats good enough for me!

Quite possibly the most useful tool to inform anglers of how fishing may be effected is to get down the river regularly and follow the five day weather forecast - beyond that, its instinct.

Then take into account the behavioral elements of our quarry, they are influenced by metabolic rate, morphology - (certain fish are better adapted to deal with flow or oxygen levels), angling pressure, predation, competition for resources, reaction to food availability etc.

Having an understanding of these elements means you can predict the potential movements of fish, where you are likely to find them and wether they are likely to feed. I constantly question myself during fishing...
why did I expect to catch a fish from that particular spot, why was it a successful day - equally, why did I blank.... what was i do doing wrong if you like!

I find that i rely on instincts more than anything else. I don't really give any real thought to any of the above in any great detail. An angling friend calls it his sixth sense. Sometimes I arrive at the river and get a gut feeling its going to be great!!!! Thats your sixth sense.... learn to listen to it and act upon those little hunches.... thats your brain collating all these past experiences quietly in your sub-conscience without you thinking about it IMO.

We only use the weather forecasts because we are so out of tune with the natural world. I am certain that in nature, animals have an anticipation or react to the urge that life is going to get tough - time to feed! A fishes urge to do something is all about instinct and nothing to do with conscience thought - quite possibly reacting to subtle changes in barometric pressure or temperature fluctuations.

The controversial bit..... why is angling considered by many to be an 'art'?

The contemporary English definition uses the word in relation to a practical skill, the application of that skill, or something produced as a result of that skill, such as painting,sculpture.

However, looking at the the Latin origin of the word, 'ars' from which we derive our word it relates to a skill, activity, handicraft, profession, work of art.

The Ancient Greek τεχνη [techne] shares a number of the meanings, usually given as art, handiwork, craft, skill, manner, system.

Its the elements of skill, activity, manner, system and creativity that puts fishing into the category of an art form! Even 'Chavs' are known for moments of creative genius:D

------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK so you want to apply science:

Start of by exploring a theory... Decide upon a singular factor you wish to investigate. Construct a null hypothesis; a statement that the variable you wish to explore will make no significant difference. this variable is the 'thing you are going to change'.

Identify all the possible variables and design an experiment to ensure these are controlled - then decide upon an outcome you wish to measure - the outcome variable.

Of course, you are going to need a control..... that is a baseline to compare results in order to distinguish if the 'thing you changed' made a significant difference.

Collect sufficient data to ensure confidence in your results - publish and peer review!

A good example is that there has been some excellent research into chemoreception for example and a lot is known how fish detect certain chemicals in their environment.

Having said that Iassak Walton did not need to know that his meatballs preserved in virgin wax were protein-rich baits. Proteins were not 'invented' then! but he readily observed that the fish liked his idea of good food for them!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

But look out folks, I am bringing out my new 4th generation 4Gee smart phone 'Chav' App...... it scans the river detecting subtle variations in depth and flow, factors in temperature, barometric pressure and an encyclopedic knowledge of fish behavior. it identifies the most likely fish holding spots and gives a percentage chance of success and failure for any given species. You should be able to down load it just before Christmas.... or better still......

On the basis of being scientific...... more often find it safer to stick with gut feelings and instinct - the 'sixth sense'. If I think it works, its good enough for me!!! Many of the ideas I apply in fishing are grounded in the context of scientific concepts.... but by being creative and adapting to given situations, I rely solely on subtle skills that can be best described as the 'art of angling'.

I guess thats why Barrie Rickards opinion rings true for me........ Discuss:D

blackout

Reaction score
I didnt know there were such knowledgeable people here, im not taking the **** or anything I'm new here so forgive me if it sound like i am. But are you a real fish scientist?

i dont go in for all that barometer pressure reading, full moon half moon, south westerly winds (like what has all that got to do with it?) mumbo jumbo, not because its rubbish I just dont understand it! :D

Bait on the other hand, it doesnt matter to me what the weather is up to choose the right bait (usually raw natural unprocessed works for me) and the fish will have it no?

good on you professor if you understand it mate but I just give em what they want to eat, possibly the only weather patterns I take notice of is seasonal differences and plummeting temperatures means a change in what bait they take agree with an hour before and an hour after dark means best times but thats about it sorry.

reeds

Reaction score
Interesting topic, but I've already shown my hand in the other topic so you know what I'm going to say!

It is neither a science nor an art.

The people who catch their fish by design - particularly the difficult fish - do so because they understand fish behaviour and have a bit of experience to back up their judgements about how to proceed. Instinct or a sixth sense is just awareness of good conditions for the species being targetting and a knowledge about how to go about it.

I personally believe bait to be the least important aspect in fishing. Find them, don't frighten them, get them confident, and you can get them to pick up pretty much anything.

Until recently I fished a large gravel pit for a handful of big bream (there were about 20 of them). After a few false starts we worked out that in certain specific circumstances, some of these fish would be feeding in very specific bits of the pit - they really liked one little bit in the spring months if it was baking hot, high pressure with no wind, and another little bit in the autumn when there was a significant pressure drop, strong SW wind, muggy and drizzly. Those seemingly impossible fish suddenly became totally predictable and catchable. To get to that point, it took thousands of rod hours and a lot of experimentation. I'm certain that in other specific conditions they'd be catchable in other areas of the pit too, but we never worked those out. (BTW bait choice was completely irrelevant; it made no difference whatsoever.) I don't know how sixth sense could have got us there! If we were fishing in those conditions and didn't catch, it's because they were extremely skittish fish, and despite our best efforts, we'd frightened them.

When fishing the rivers, I too get that surging feeling when coming across a 'perfect' bit of water where you just know a big chub or two is sitting. Some may call that instinct; I think it's because I can see the flow is just right, and the colour and depth of the water good. It's a learned response based on experience.

Oh, I forgot, those bream were almost always caught on or very close to a new moon, even by those anglers not fishing for them. This is true of every capture I know of them over about 8 years.

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
I didnt know there were such knowledgeable people here, im not taking the **** or anything I'm new here so forgive me if it sound like i am. But are you a real fish scientist?

i dont go in for all that barometer pressure reading, full moon half moon, south westerly winds (like what has all that got to do with it?) mumbo jumbo, not because its rubbish I just dont understand it! :D

Bait on the other hand, it doesnt matter to me what the weather is up to choose the right bait (usually raw natural unprocessed works for me) and the fish will have it no?

good on you professor if you understand it mate but I just give em what they want to eat, possibly the only weather patterns I take notice of is seasonal differences and plummeting temperatures means a change in what bait they take agree with an hour before and an hour after dark means best times but thats about it sorry.

I just spout a lot of $h!T..........:D You don't have to understand it!!!! Thats the beauty of fishing!

I'll nail my colors to the mast....... I'm a 'when the wind blows east, the fish bite least'.... kind of an angler.. the wider point I was making that its fine taking measurements, but I cannot see the patterns in a sea of data. its too complex. I don't bother and follow my instincts - perhaps at risk of sounding like a complete nutter - perhaps even think along the lines of 'if I was a fish, what would i do' given the conditions.

---------- Post added at 05:03 ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 ----------

It is neither a science nor an art.

perfectly correct - its subjective.

people who catch their fish by design - particularly the difficult fish - do so because they understand fish behaviour and have a bit of experience to back up their judgements about how to proceed. Instinct or a sixth sense is just awareness of good conditions for the species being targetting and a knowledge about how to go about it.

Couldn't disagree with a word of that :)

Last edited:

blackout

Reaction score
Science is knowledge right? I may be lacking in some aspects of that :rolleyes: and art? not sure unless its skill? perhaps its the same as an artist who is skilful with a paintbrush? or tackle in the hands of a skilful angler?

Trying to get my head round this but isnt watercraft both an art and a science?
Looking for features, holdups wind blowing steadily all day carrying food items to a far quiet little corner etc. then when we have identified the likeliest swims are we to use inappropriate tackle or throw any old bait at them? Of course not, a quality and right kind of bait presented to the target species is important, it may not be accurately presented (slightly off target even) but a good quality bait should draw them in I suppose watercraft is second nature and least after that the bait is sometimes the only control we have left!!! :D

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm sure by applying scientific methods, temperature, number of fish to food supply can be applied to fishing but you need to factor in the unknown, if the fish are hungry, if the fish are there at all on any particular day.

benny samways

Reaction score
I'll nail my colors to the mast....... I'm a 'when the wind blows east, the fish bite least'.... kind of an angler.. the wider point I was making that its fine taking measurements, but I cannot see the patterns in a sea of data. its too complex. I don't bother and follow my instincts - perhaps at risk of sounding like a complete nutter - perhaps even think along the lines of 'if I was a fish, what would i do' given the conditions.

I dislike to view fishing as a science mainly because once you try employing scientific technique you get nowhere as you are unable to draw any conclusions, as Chav says the variables are too hard to control.

I do however see an anglers skill set as a result of unconscious pattern recognition. You don’t know why you know but you know, the subconcious conclusions drawn from our subconscious recognition of the patterns that do exist within angling!

Once your on the bank how you employ these skills is an artform.

One should see one untangle a speedia birds nest wot wot:wh

blackout

Reaction score
Gut instinct i can understand, cant explain it but I understand it - I think?:D

The birdsnest, now theres an artform - untangling my mess without stripping down lol

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The trial and error part of fishing - experimenting with different baits or methods is a bit like science. As for the artistry, well if a David Gower square cut was artistry (as many think it was), then an underarm cast with a stick float under an overhanging tree and precise control of the float down a trot also has an element of artistry about it.

B

binka

There were only two options... science or art.

I often wonder what proportion of the non-physical part of angling is based on that smelly cow excrement though!

Seriously, for me it's mainly art... I aint that clever but I can run a float through beautifully, lol :)

terry m

Reaction score
Science puts you in a position where you have the best chance of catching.

Art will determine whether you can capitalise on the position that science has put you into.

My opinion anyway!

goonch

Reaction score
The more that angling tries to make itself a science the less I seem to enjoy it.

Just my opinion though and we are all different. Fishing is whatever you make of it.