Pike fishing with single semi barbed hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgreenacre

Reaction score
An afternoon's Pike fishing on a Hampshire Lake produces some excellent Pike sport. Paul shows you how to use float fished sprats mounted on a single semi barbless hook. Whilst waiting for the float to disappear he plugs and spins around the bay bringing in more pike toward the dead-bait. An effective combination that produces 6 pike (to double figures) in just 2 hours. The film shows you how easy it is to remove a single hook without taking the fish out of the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

binka

I recently watched a video on YouTube with a guy at a fishery which only allowed single hook rigs and he did fine with pike and zander, i've since made up some single hook "deadbait hairs" like the ones he was using but haven't tried them yet, sounds a good principal though.

Matt Hayes was on the box the other day on a stately Irish estate lake and he too commented that the spinning often draws in pike and on to a deadbait.

I must try this.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've been using singles since the 70's for shorter casts and, as in previous threads, you usually hook them in the scissors. I lift almost immediately on the take and believe that missed fish are jacks that would have probably been missed on a fist full of trebles anyway - IMO larger pike will have the bait in their mouth on the take.
Jerry

paulgreenacre

Reaction score
I recently watched a video on YouTube with a guy at a fishery which only allowed single hook rigs and he did fine with pike and zander, i've since made up some single hook "deadbait hairs" like the ones he was using but haven't tried them yet, sounds a good principal though.

Matt Hayes was on the box the other day on a stately Irish estate lake and he too commented that the spinning often draws in pike and on to a deadbait.

I must try this.

yes it definitely works - I've been doing it for years, but nice to know then pros are seeing the benefits

I have yet to try the hair rig but will give it ago.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

What is a semi barbless single hook.

a single hook with a filed down barb - just big enough to hold the deaqd bait but easier to unhook the predator.

You can file them down yourself or buy them ready made

paulgreenacre

Reaction score
I've been using singles since the 70's for shorter casts and, as in previous threads, you usually hook them in the scissors. I lift almost immediately on the take and believe that missed fish are jacks that would have probably been missed on a fist full of trebles anyway - IMO larger pike will have the bait in their mouth on the take.
Jerry

yes I agree - an early strike is important, 9 out of 10 fish are caught in the lip or scissors.

terry m

Reaction score
Nice film, I know that lake and that particular swim very well.

But if that pike was 6lb then I would be very surprised indeed. 4lb would be a push.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yes it definitely works - I've been doing it for years, but nice to know then pros are seeing the benefits

I have yet to try the hair rig but will give it ago.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

a single hook with a filed down barb - just big enough to hold the deaqd bait but easier to unhook the predator.

You can file them down yourself or buy them ready made

It is not semi barbed then is it it is micro barbed at best depending how much you take away why not use barbless with a tag .

---------- Post added at 01:53 ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 ----------

Bump up ...??

What does the term bump up refer to.

blackout

Reaction score
I thought it meant to bump off the fish using a single hook lol thats what I do all the time:D

sagalout

Reaction score
I have been using single circle hooks with great success. I have landed 9 out of 10 takes, all hooked in the scissors.

I use the sakuma 440 circle micro bard hooks and crush the barb down with pliers (as per club rules) and put a bit of red elastic band on the hook after the bait to stop it coming of.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The moderation team have decided to remove this contributor's videos from the site.

We sought the advice of several expert Pike anglers who all agreed that; the unhooking, over-excessive playing and lack of handling skills shown on the clips are not good advertisments for young or aspiring predator anglers or this site in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.