How much would the fishing industry suffer if anglers only used natural baits?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Walk in to any tackle shop and the shelves are full of pellets and boiles, all sizes and flavours and I'm guessing they make up a lot of the tackle shops sales.
If anglers went back to fishing with natural baits, maggots, corn, worms, would many tackle shop shut?

Last edited by a moderator:

blackout

Reaction score
If they relied on my £30 a year spend they wouldnt be any shops left!!! :D

Years ago thats all they ever sold so who invented all the artificial stuff anyway? I cant remember buying groundbaits either just brown crumb I even made my own from cornflakes weetabix and all sorts from the cupboard and caught a few fish so whats wrong with that? Hi tech seems to have come from japan it may be the future but cannot beat raw unprocessed and naturals inho

waggy

Reaction score
Most of it's aimed at the Carp-men anyway, so who cares - it's not real fishing.
Why not just feed them, put them on the table and forget the fishing completely.

barisaxman

Reaction score
I don't think it would make much difference. My family was in the tackle business in the 70's thru to the early 90's and we didn't sell all these manufactured baits, I don't think the "catch a tame carp on an over expensive pole in a stock pond fad" had taken off by then.
Back in the day, the majority of the anglers we catered for were river/canal fishermen and depending where they were fishing, bought bait accordingly. ie Middle Severn/ Avon, 4-6 pints of maggots ,plus casters. Lower Severn/Avon less maggots/casters and more loose groundbait. (We used to sell brown and white crumb by the pint). They would use all of it in a single match. They had watercraft in those days. Not like now where it seems one size fits all. The mark-up on maggots was next to nothing but we made money on groundbait and actual tackle. Maggots were always a loss leader to get people into the shop. You know what anglers are like in shops, they nearly always see some thing they think they might need and buy it.... We used to make sure of that...!
In those days we could get the latest gear in for people to look at and get a feel for. 9 times out of 10, they would buy it, plus all the bits to go with it, with a discount, of course!
What killed it for many small shops, including us, was mail order and the new "fishing superstores" which were basically mail order stores selling bulk tackle cheaply. Put Fleabay in the equation and you have the demise of many a local tackle shop. What really p****d us off were the chaps that came in enquired about, say a new rod on the market, which we got in for them to check it out and then go mail order for it, coz it saved 'em a fiver. They didn't seem to realise that we could have probably beat that price and they could have the rod there and then without postage costs....:(
IMHO if the shops/suppliers stopped selling all the artificial c**p most so called angers would probably give up. I fish with a guy who has no watercraft whatsoever, can't fish with anything but his £2000 pole, with matching seatbox, clothing and pellets in stock ponds. I took him river fishing once he says he can't be bothered with rivers coz they're too much like hard work..... He had to walk all of 100 yards to his peg and coldn't use his pole, poor chap!:(
I think the artificial bait trend is manufactuer led, as most things in the tackle industry are. After all, the fish as far as I am aware haven't changed the diets in years.....;)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Perhaps it would lead to more sales at the tackle shops.

I have to admit to keeping bags and bags of pellets, hard ones for loose feed and melting for the method feeder and semi soft ones for the hook. They're really convenient, don't go off for a really long time, and the fish love em - well, if not one sort another flavour will attract. At least that's Sonubaits because I believe Sonubaits have got the mixture about right so all I use these days is Sonubaits in all sizes although I'd love Sonubaits to do some more really big 16mm ones in different flavours for barbel. I'm so dedicated now to Sonubaits I wouldn't mind being sponsored by them (hint, hint). Saying that it wouldn't save me that much even then as Sonubaits are so economical to use anyway.

That's the truth as well.

If we couldn't use all of these hookable pellets, it would lead to more maggot sales, possibly worm, and certainly casters. Groundbaits have come on in leaps in the last 30+ years thanks to a continental influence (although our own Sonubaits make some really good ones). My old tackle dealer used to do 4 kinds of groundbait - fine white crumb, medium white crumb, and large white crumb alonmg with medium brown crumb for the healthy eaters.

Now whilst in the shop buying maggots they may stock up on other things like feeders, shot, banksticks etc. and if the prices were clearly marked and keen enough, they may buy the odd rod or reel. If the internet has taken business away from the retailer now its because he cannot stock everything and buying off the internet is convenient, easy, you can see what's in stock, and it's delivered either next day or soon after. You can't play with it first like you can in a shop so you're on a gamble. I wouldn't do what our friend above says and ask a dealer to order something then buy it elsewhere, but then dealers these days are mere shop assistants and not salesmen in most cases.

EDITED BIT: Pssst Sonubaits, was that a good enough plug? Do I get my sponsorship deal now?

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
All he needs is some Bait-Tech stuff and he could do an advertorial on here!
Nah Sean, been there, tried it, didn't like it. Well, wasn't any different to anything else available and as for Maruku (don't try saying that on 8 pints of Duvel), one very expensive con - IMO. Where does that leave me - banned?

blackout

Reaction score
Funny how times change though with all this hi tech bait and tackle what it must be like in say another 20 or 30 years what we will be using for bait? will we be advanced enough to have fish jump up out of the water into our nets? I dont think tackle shops will exist just look at their decline seee what the mail order and internet has done in just the last 20 years must be really tough for shops who dont sell on the internet?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I bought some 12mm strawberry boilies, they're back in the cupboard along with some peach (& mango??) 18mm pop-ups, reason, caught jack sh!t with them (although missus did catch a carp on the strawberry ones) The only manufactured "bought" bait I take regularly is a bag of 4mm feeder pellets

blackout

Reaction score
I bet if you made some with real strawberrys and caught naff all you could eat them yourself or your wife might lol lady anglers brilliant never need to lie or make excuses to go fishing they understand and go with you does she talk alot my missus never shuts up leave her at home I do :D

maceo

Reaction score
I've never bought or used a boilie either! Nor pellets.

I like to use 'natural' baits as far as possible. I put natural in inverted commas because it's my own idea of natural - maggots, tinned hemp, casters, bread, tinned corn, lobworms etc.

The first three come from the tackle shop.

It's not through any purer than thou ideals or anything - it just seems to fit with natural river fishing better.