Quick release fishing in the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgreenacre

Reaction score
Out lake fishing, Paul catches a Pike with a mepps 5 spinner. He removes the barbless hooks in the water (using forceps) - for a quick and safe release.

Last edited by a moderator:

philblakey

Reaction score
A pal of mine once unhooked a pike in the water, we were fishing on a canal, the pike hurtled straight down head 1st into the bottom of the canal.
Despite our best efforts it didn't make it and sadly died. Freak accident maybe, but it's a possibility in shallow water, not a problem if you're in a boat over deep water.
We always chin pike, unhook, put it back and point it in the right direction.
Phil.

paulgreenacre

Reaction score
A pal of mine once unhooked a pike in the water, we were fishing on a canal, the pike hurtled straight down head 1st into the bottom of the canal.
Despite our best efforts it didn't make it and sadly died. Freak accident maybe, but it's a possibility in shallow water, not a problem if you're in a boat over deep water.
We always chin pike, unhook, put it back and point it in the right direction.
Phil.

I always look at the hook position and the strength of the fish otherwise I will chin or land and then remove and hold for a few minutes before releasing. With lip hooked fish and barbless hooks as long as you are beefed up and do not over tire the fish I prefer to keep them in the water and release them in the shallows.

philblakey

Reaction score
No problem, each to their own:).
Can i ask why you use barbless hooks on lures? Is it just spinners you use them on?
Phil.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The moderation team have decided to remove this contributor's videos from the site.

We sought the advice of several expert Pike anglers who all agreed that; the unhooking, over-excessive playing and lack of handling skills shown on the clips are not good advertisments for young or aspiring predator anglers or this site in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.