reel problems

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Maybe you got a little bit of sand/grit in it!?....Have you taken it a part to clean it yet?

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Neil: You may have dirt/rust inside the reel. Take your reel off and have a look. Give it a clean out with a small paint brush and then sprayW D 40 in it mate.

I

Ian Cloke

Depending on the type of reel, baitcast or fixad spool, there could be numerous reasons for the noise Neil. If it is a baitcast style reel, you may have problems taking it apart, and re-assembling it, so I would take it to a tackle dealers and ask their advice, however if it is a "normal" fixed spool type reel, then you should be able to take the cover off, and give it a clean with WD40, then a light oil/lubrication, and put the cover back on, although it may just be the some dirt has got behind the spool, in whch case your problem may be resolved by simply removing the spool and giving the spindle, spool and spoolhousing a good clean.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I wouldn't use WD40. It'll mix with any oil or grease that's supposed to be in there and break it down.

If it's an expensive reel I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer and sending it back for a service. The Tackle Box in Kent do a similar service for a numbder of brands.

As Ian said above, a clean and some light oil may do the trick.

Reaction score
Matt's right about the WD40

WD40 is not a lubricant or a cleaner. The WD stands for Water Displacement. It is used as a corrosion inhibitor. As reels are usually made from non corrosive materials then it's not an issue.

Souns like you either have some grit inside it or a part has worn or worked loose.

What type of reel is it?