Avon scale refurbishment

chav professor

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Avon scale company still refurbishes their wonderful white dial scales. I have a digital set which are cold and soulless in comparison.

B

Berty

They have a website and phone number, might pay to try them, though they seem to sell digital fishing scales now............you may just have to give your old ones a squirt of banana sac juice and test them yourself?

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If it's only the perspex cover which is scratched and clouded it can be cleaned with brasso metal polish (the same goes for any scratched perspex) The calibration is a bit more difficult, In common with all spring balance type scales they are normally calibrated to be accurate in the middle of the range and less so at the extremities. I would find a known weight equivalent to the weight of fish you expect to catch and set the scale to that with the adjuster, then take the weight off the scales and see where the needle comes to rest, that will be true zero for that weight, if it is any more than a couple of needle widths off the marked zero then the scales need calibrating.
However, if you always use the same scales and are aware of the error then it's not a problem. If you should be lucky enough to catch a record fish your scales will be validated by weights and measures and the claimed weight adjusted.

waveney_chubber

Reaction score
I've heard a few people who have sent their Avon's back to Reuben Heaton and have said that they were very pleased with the service. I've also heard that they re-calibrate them at the same time. Best chub scales ever? You know it makes sense!

chav professor

Reaction score
Right, their packaged - letter to accompany and ready to be refurbished/calibrated.......

Top tip: Do NOT clean scales and then apply WD40:eek:mg: I always calibrate my scales every season (well check against known standard weights at work) testing at weights of 1lb to 8lb in weight.

New spring, parts, service and calibration for £17.50 sounded cheap as it included carriage and VAT! Sadly, the plastic and perspex parts are no longer manufactured. But I like the general wear and tear look....... Most of my stuff looks knackered! (my definition of knackered is cherished and well used).

Should get them back within the week!!!!!

Good to know if your an Avon scales fan! However, will still carry the digitals:cool:

In case your wondering, they weigh light!

chav professor

Reaction score
Chris to whom, and where, did you send them.

Cheers, Merv.

Avon Scales Co.Ltd
1 Claremont Street
Edmonton
London
N12 2RP

Along with a cheques made payable to 'Avon Scales' for £17.50.

I was advised that some spares (mostly plastic aesthetic bits) are obsolete.... but all the integral parts that make them what they are can be serviced/replaced as required.

The chap sounded embarrassed that he had to charge as much as £17.50, offering that it covered technician labour, V.A.T. and carriage. I thought it was very reasonable. I think this is in part due to the fact that you would have a set of scales returned that looked as good as new for the same price in the past.

Personally, I much prefer my scales returning the way they looked anyway....

Can't wait to be reunited...... I hate digital scales:mad:

chav professor

Reaction score
Why did you get some then ? :confused:

Try and buy quality dial fishing scales....lol:D Its all digital or reubon heaton (quality) dial scales to 60lb in 2oz increments - A bit over the top for Chevin!!

To be honest, thought Avon had folded...... seems many think they did. Its a sore point with Avon as another fishing company seemed to reinforce the idea..:wh

Of coarse, second hand was an option - but possibly at the cost of accuracy due to abuse etc....

Weighing fish is sufficiently important to me to do the job as accurately as possible - otherwise...... its pointless