River Fishing

S

Stewart Bloor

Well, I just couldn't take any more. After 2 weeks of no river action I went out this afternoon on the (West Mids)River Stour. Really struggled, bt it was nice to fish some running water again....
We all know the state of the Severn, Yorkshire Ouse etc, but what is your local river like?

C

Carp Angler

When I leave work on wednesday morning I'm going to the river for a few hours.
I'll decide whether it's the Hants Avon or Dorset Stour when I cross over them.
We are currently experiencing more heavy showers, although they're not as prolonged as last weeks.

P

Paul Williams

I am really missing my favourite stretchs of river, i could get down after work a couple of times a week, problem is my stillwaters aint fishing particulary well, still we are all in it together!

K

Kevin Parcell

Well Stuart I've been and had a look at the Rivers Trent,Tame and Mease in the Burton area.They are all receded back within their banks,and the majority of the flood water has drained of the fields at last.So with a bit of luck I'll be able to fish them next weekend,providing we don't have any more rain that is!

P

Paul Williams

Kevin, i for one will be very glad when the rivers are back in some shape.....bet Stuart will be too, ha ha ha this will teach im for calling me a Brummie! nobody spelling his name right, Kevin i owe you a beer!!

S

Stewart Bloor

Glad to see the Mease is in its banks. I was wondering whether a trip to the river would be viable this week. If you're near the river Tues / Wed, put a river report posting on the Forum. That would be appreciated.

K

Kevin Parcell

Will do Stewart.Sorry about the spelling mistake last time!

K

Kevin Parcell

By the way can someone tell me how you put the photgraph's on the threads?

C

Carp Angler

Click on your name above your posting and then click on the Face-it picture which appears and follow the instructions there.

C

Chris Bishop

Seventy odd MPs have now signed Martin Salter's early day motion calling for the close season to ke retained on rivers, on a slightly different note.

S

Stewart Bloor

No problem, Kevin, I forgive you. It's the other one I refuse to forgive.
Look forward to seeing what you look like, but compared to Paul Williams you're probably an Adonis anyway

S

Stewart Bloor

One of the guys who works with me lives in Evesham. I asked him what the Avon is like this morning, he said it's back in its banks (maybe useful info Paul?)

P

Paul Williams

Sadge, i'll have you know i am an adonis, it's just that i wear an inflated tyre under my fishing clothes in case i fall in, you should get one!!!!

J

john conway

Several of the articles in various letters have show concern about the effect of Global Warming and the general flooding of our rivers. Not wishing to be an alarmist, but I suggest you note the following:-
Professor Wallace S. Broecker, one of the world's leading climate experts, warned of an underestimating threat posed by the build up of greenhouse gases. An abrupt collapse of the ocean's prevailing circulation system that could send temperatures across Europe plummeting in a span of 10 years. If that system shut down today, winter temperature in the North Atlantic region would fall by 20 or more degrees Fahrenheit within 10 years. Dublin would acquire the climate of Spitsbergen 600 miles north of the Arctic Circle. The full document is available at www.columbia.edu/cu/pr/
The question now would be - what would we be fishing for in the future?

C

Carp Angler

Do these guys have a clue what they're talking about?
The report I heard on the radio suggested that the overall temperature in the UK will RISE by 10 degrees C within 10 years if the excessive use of GH gases is not halted.
This has the implication of rising sea levels etc etc..

Who do we believe ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

D

Daniel Whitelock

i just happen to be studying global warming etc at school at the mo so i think i know something about it, all the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere that is being put in by humans is making something happen to the ozone layer, and the sun rays get locked in and heat the globe up, well it's something like that anyway ( i don't listen that much, too busy flicking through cf magazines )
but it means that the icecaps will start melting and worldwide flooding will occur and rivers and seas will rise hell of a lot, don't know how long this will happen but theres the outline of it.
cheers Daniel

C

Carp Angler

Thinking about this, I believe that initial rising temperatures will then cause a drop in temperature.
Don't know how that works, but rising temps will cause the next Ice Age.
In the last one, massive amounts of volcanic activity caused increased temps and loads of GH gases, this caused the greenhouse effect, warm airs and radiations with no ability to dissipate out of the atmosphere, and this then lowers the temp (somehow) and brought on the Ice Age.

S

Stewart Bloor

Interesting theories, but I'm afraid you're all wrong.
The reason the Severn flooded is because about a month ago Graham Marsden was in the Talbot at Kempsey (along with several other Forum members who will verify he was there).
At one stage he actually got his wallet out to pay for a drink. It had not actually been opened for about 15 years, thus resulting in quite a build up of gases. In fact, the resultant release was so powerful it set off the water sprinklers, which led to the Lower Severn being under 20 foot of water.
So there you have it.
Fact, not theory.

C

Carp Angler

Marsdens wallet and the Pandooras box theory......................interesting