Anyone take their dog fishing?

blankety blank

Reaction score
I've just had my 40th birthday, and my wife and kids decided it would be a good idea to get me a dog as a present. I have always wanted one, and we had been talking about getting one recently. I have always admired labradoodles, and lo and behold, I am now the proud ownerof Frank, a delightful 10 week old fawn labradoodle pup.

He's supposed to love the water. When he's had his shots i will take him down to a spot I know on my local stream and we can have a good splash about.

I'd love to take him fishing with me when he is a little bigger. Does anyone else take their dog fishing with them, and how do you get on?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to take both my GSD and my Irish Setter fishing with me twenty or more years ago and never had any trouble with either of them.

Sadly, these days many fisheries and river venues won't allow dogs at all, and yet they are far less trouble than wives, children and other attached nuisances.

Good luck with your new dog, they truly are man's best friend.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Its true what Peter says, very few fisheries allow dogs not even on river stretches which is most strange considering everyone and their uncle seem to walk the banks with their dogs. I can see why what with the poo and all but I have always said if the person that moans about dog poo caused as little pollution as the dog then the world would be a farfar cleaner place.

Have fun with your new found friend mate, it is onepresent you willtreasure for the rest of its lifeand no one will give you more love or be more faithful thanyour dog believe me.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

....but Joe , how are the 27 cats taking to their new friend? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

The bad one

Reaction score
Funny this one, as I've taken pity on our Kid's dog (staffy) when he goes fishing. He looks so sad that he can't go with him, so i take him birding with me. He's great, never strays, Ifi stop he stops and he'll stand in the same spot for 20 minutes. If he finds a log to chew on, he'll stay put for hours.

Our kid really has him well trained. The only thing he doesn't like are grey squirrels, he'll chase them, but the feelings mutual on this one, chick thieving little blighters!

Reaction score
While you're on the subject Phil's big brother - is a grey squirrel likely to kill Jay chicks?

I watched a pair of jays nesting in out garden last spring. Eventlually they had 5 chicks, which a found dead at teh foot of the tree. They had either had their throats ripped out or heads ripped off. At the time I assumed it was magpies, but we do have a lot of grey squirrels in the area.

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
Used to take my King Charles Cav with me, sadly he's no longer with us. Seemed to spend most of his time sleeping by my chair, after a couple of brisk walks along the bank (after reeling in obviously), I normally found I was doing it on my own!!! Lazy dog that one! Wouldn't swap him though, a great friend and sad loss when he went to the kennel in the sky, (buried him in the garden actually, and yes he was dead! [sickos]).

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to take my Jack Russel Terrier with me, he wasn't a yappie dog like some Jack Russels are but I had to be careful when I swung a fish in otherwise he would have it if he caught it.

Twice the daft lummix jumped on some thick weed thinking it was firm ground and ended in the brink.

Bob James had a couple of well trained dogs on "A Passion for Angling" didn't he.

The bad one

Reaction score
I'm the younger of the two you cheeky bugger Mat by 14 months!

It could have been either that did the dastardly deed! I watch a GS face down a crow only last week in the local park. Eventually the GS bottled it and ran off, butthe stand off lasted a good 3 minutes.

Last summer I found a crow chick in it's death throws after being attacked by Maggies. They'd pecked iton the head and cracked it scull open. Found it very sad really as the same pair of crows have nested in the same tree for the last 15 years and they normally raise just one chick a year. Whilst in the countryside they can be a crop pest, in the urban environment they cause no problems at all. In fact they benefit the park, as they keep the place tidy of waste food left by the inconsiderate users.

The Monk

Reaction score
I`ve taken a few dogs fishing over the years/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Im having troubles teaching mine not to jump in after my pike float when I cast it out

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
If you have a steady, quiet dog that is under control and not being a pain in the proverbial to yourself and everyone else all well and good Blankety.

Personally I wouldnt think a new pup could be expected to cope with it . You would either have to tether it close to you and put up with its frustration and boredom or expect it to be a constant distraction while you chase after it through the day.

Labs are intelligent dogs but very slow to mature .

You may find it a fundamental error to encourage it to water if you want a fishing buddy as well.

I used to have a Jack Russell that I would take to certain venues and she would be ratting all day long and because of the geography of that venue would have a whale of a time without harrasing others but doggy mates and fishing although a lovely idea in truthoften dont work well.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Nigel, the cats view Frank's arrival as a distinctly unwelcome event! Hopefully a few of them will make themselves scarce as a result.

Frank is absolutely georgeous. i know we a pre-programmed to think our own dogs are the best in the world....but he really is a cracker. He is a lab with a hint of poodle, rather than the other way round. Supposed to be a good swimmer, perhaps i can teach him to retrieve like Bob James' retrievers in "Passion".

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>blankety blank wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

He's supposed to love the water. When he's had his shots i will take him down to a spot I know on my local stream and we can have a good splash about.</blockquote>
I hope I'm not in the next swim when you do. Dogs and their owners really p**s me off when I am fishing. There can be several miles of bank; you can be the only fisherman on the stretch, the bu**ers will get within a few yards of you and chuck their bl**dy sticks in. Bl**dy dog owners. Grrrrrrrr, bl**dy, Grrrrrrrrrrr.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Ray, the only people who fish in the stream in question is me adn my daughters, we go there to catch minnow sometimes, just good old fashioned fun!

Frank's much too young yet to even consider taking him fishing. I agree that badly behaved dogs can be a menace, and I have always been cross with owners who cannot seem to understand that not everybody seems to love their little treasures, particularly when they jump in the river..

I am very lucky in that i do have access to quite a bit of fishing (lots of it private) where dogs are not banned. If i could train a dog to sit quietly with me while I fish, he would make a wonderful companion i reckon. We shall see!

Reaction score
I like to see dogs when I`m fishing ( not the Monk kind ) , provided they are well trained , there is nothing worse than a bloody great dog ,running into your swim and eating your baits and the sad git of a owner standing there .

Even worse is the dog who runs into a swim and gulps up a pike bait set up on a trace and it`s your fault according to the owner ./forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
My dog loves water as long as it don't go above his ears!

Seeing as the river is 13 foot deep I don't take him anywhere near it!