How are groundbaits tested

Andy M

Reaction score
Having just read the blurb on the latest super bream groundbait on the home page with info on its multiple ingredients, irresistible to bream I was wondering how groundbait mixes are tested for efficacy - if indeed they are. Are any even semi-scientific trials/observations carried out with fish in tanks perhaps testing the new mix against some sort of control?

tortoise100

Reaction score
I test my baits on my pet fish in a tank but it doesn't really answer your question and my fish are mainly large predators and tropical so it's not very relevant to wild fish.
However i have been suprised by the lack of reaction to most ground baits when compared to a piece of chopped lob worm etc .
Also most boilies don't get much of a reaction .
It has made me start to use worms in a much more serious way with great results lobs are worth the money and the effort .
I would buy a tub of lobs over any ground bait any day .

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Most ideas for groundbaits came from the continent anyway. Belgium mainly and France. Using Brasem and stuff and cattle cake ground up.

I'm sure the pros go out and test them, but as always, it's a confidence thing. If you use one and you catch, you'll use it again and recommend it. If you don't catch you'll keep quiet.

Angling Times do some tests from time to time, but not sure when or if they have done groundbaits. I did read about bait flavour additives and pineapple came out well for many species except tench. Tiger nut oil also seems a popular attractant with bream although I swear by Sensas Bream 3000, red if possible, it smell to me of carrot cake so cinnamon perhaps? Also VdE Lake that smells of liquorice allsorts, perhaps some star anise in there too?

It's always interestign to try making up you own. One I'm working with is -

1 part ground fishmeal
1 part Nesquick chocolate milkshake powder
2-4 parts brown crumb whatever pleases you.

So far it's been OK, wouldn't rave about it, but bad days are always possible and unfair to judge a groundbait if the fish aren't playing.

Would also say, it's worth trying mixing soem large bargain bags of spices from supermarkets with your breadcrumbs. Turmeric is a good one (add a little to your maggots as well, esp in winter) and corriander powder is supposedly good for roach and has worked with me.

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I rarely use a groundbait without also adding bait into the mix - casters, dead maggots, corn or whatever i am using on the hook. In a way its also a delivery system to get the loose feed offerings where you need them to be. Also tend to add hemp whatever i am going for or what hookbait i am using - great all round additive.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as Sensas is concerned I have visited their factory and can tell you that their mixes are tank-tested for things like times to break-up and cloudiness etc.

Then their mixes are tested over a period of time on both rivers and/or lakes by their sponsored anglers long before they hit the shelves in your local tackle shop.

Personally I never bother with homemade ground bait mixes as I firmly believe that they carry far too much feed content as opposed to attractants and stimulants.

The idea of a decent ground bait is to interest the fish without feeding too much, isn't it?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I can tell you a secret that I acquired from the A4 match team (used to be Mustad A4 Vikings) when I have fished with them casually or against them in matches. Now do keep this to yourself, don't tell another soul or I'll be in big bother.

1 pint of casters
1 pint of hemp
mix and add just ¼ cupful of brown crumb.

That's it. Fish in a open ended groundbait feeder, the crumb will bind it, and fish maggot on the hook. If you get into bream, switch the groundbait for Sensas Bream 3000, but if you start to catch chub stick with the above mix, put casters on the hook.

If you'll excuse me now, I must go into hiding since a contract on me will be issued within the next 24 hours...

Don't forget, keep mum on this.

cg74

Reaction score
Most ideas for groundbaits came from the continent anyway. Belgium mainly and France. Using Brasem and stuff and cattle cake ground up.
I'm sure the pros go out and test them, but as always, it's a confidence thing. If you use one and you catch, you'll use it again and recommend it. If you don't catch you'll keep quiet.

Angling Times do some tests from time to time, but not sure when or if they have done groundbaits. I did read about bait flavour additives and pineapple came out well for many species except tench. Tiger nut oil also seems a popular attractant with bream although I swear by Sensas Bream 3000, red if possible, it smell to me of carrot cake so cinnamon perhaps? Also VdE Lake that smells of liquorice allsorts, perhaps some star anise in there too?

It's always interestign to try making up you own. One I'm working with is -

1 part ground fishmeal
1 part Nesquick chocolate milkshake powder
2-4 parts brown crumb whatever pleases you.

So far it's been OK, wouldn't rave about it, but bad days are always possible and unfair to judge a groundbait if the fish aren't playing.

Would also say, it's worth trying mixing soem large bargain bags of spices from supermarkets with your breadcrumbs. Turmeric is a good one (add a little to your maggots as well, esp in winter) and corriander powder is supposedly good for roach and has worked with me.

I'd recommend dropping the bovine feed and replacing it with a high grade pig grower pellet (for pigs of 20-40kg), as it should have an excellent lysine content, much higher protein level and uses fishmeal.
Failing that poultry feed is of a similar grade.

That said unless I was undertaking a huge baiting exercise, I'd stick with shop bought fishing baits, ones with a known track record.