plagerised reviews and articles...

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
i have just found a review of the fox supabrolly on a carp forum..(crafty carping)....that is a virtual carbon copy of my review for f.m.....the chap concerned has denied it.....but when whole sentences..even paragraphs...are used word for word...then he realy is taking the p**S.....please check it out....let me know what you think....is it my imagination???

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
look at the dates..mine was over two months before his.....i just think he should use his own words.....that is...if he even has a s.b.....!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
it's the ...... that make the difference.....

What's

. . . . . .
. . . . . . (·

12 ants walking two abreast....

Well, it's as near as I can get it in text mode.

Taxi..

The bad one

Reaction score
Stu several points here
In the world of the internet plagiarising is rife Even Tory Blair did it ;)
Talking to friends who lecture at Unis, it's a very big problem. One even found half an essay cut and pasted from a mate's obscure paper published a few year previous. Student swore him blind it was his own work. My mate phoned his mate up and handed the phone to the said student on speakerphone. The true author tied him up in knots on the analysis/results, as thick git couldn't remember them. Oops! Lost the whole assignment and failed the module for that year.

Matt asked did you copyright it? The simplest way to do this is sign and date all original work. And keep them in hardcopies.
Don't delete e-mails sent with such docs on them.
However, unless you're moneybags and you can afford to go to court to establish your ownership, you have very little recourse if some thieving scum nicks your work.
Sad, but that's the way of the world.
You could try asking the site to take down the thieves work, citing your work on FM and pointing to the the dates and the similarities in his work to yours.
If they say no, then the only thing realistically you have left is to expose them on this internet thingy.

On the other hand you could take it as a form of flattery as it was that "good" that a thicko felt he needed to copy it and pass it off as his own.

An honorable person would have asked you could he use it in his review with credit to you as the originator.

guest61

Reaction score
Look at it as flattery - once you post something on the internet it exists forever for someone to pick over and or copy if they see fit.

For example, follow these links on slider fishing.

1 www.fishing.co.uk

2 Fishing World UK - Match Tips

One from Ian Heaps in 2000, the other from Andy Johnstone 'copyrighted' in 2007

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
copyright it?...it's a flippin opinion on a brolly..lol.....i was just shocked and a little bemused if truth be told....after all,what on earth is the point?....i realy don't get it.....it's a bit like buying a 20lbcod at the fish market after you've blanked.....then going home and telling the wife to make a good job of cooking it......because you sat out in the freezin rain for two days to catch the ******!
p.s.
i know i do have a habit of talking **** now and again.....usualy after far too much wine...(always seems to be half way through the second bottle that i log on)....and i admit that.....however....i am basicaly an honest person....and any opinion i express...is my own....in my own little stupid way.....that formed itself in my own stupid little mind.....and is mine.....drunk or not!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
i have just found a review of the fox supabrolly on a carp forum..(crafty carping)....that is a virtual carbon copy of my review for f.m.....the chap concerned has denied it.....but when whole sentences..even paragraphs...are used word for word...then he realy is taking the p**S.....please check it out....let me know what you think....is it my imagination???

A link to the offending article might be a cunning plan.

Reaction score
I think anyone that plagiarises your work is a fool. They would be pulled up for the bad spelling and terrible grammar (sentences usually end with just one full stop and start with a capital letter). :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
don't know how mate...when it comes to that type of thing..i'm lost.....see..told you i was stupid....however if anyone else can....?

It's easy. Just open the page with the article, left click in the browser address bar, right click on the highlighted web address and then paste the link (right click again) into a post on here.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
They would be pulled up for the bad spelling and terrible grammar
There you are, Stuart. The guy was just giving you an Ingulsh lesson. ;) :D

In fact it happened with an article of mine a few years back that I'd written for FM. This chap copied it verbatim and posted it on a Milton Keynes fisheries website. A little warning letter to the committee members of that clubs got it taken down. Don't know what happened to the plagiarist, probably flogged, tarred and feathered and tied to a lock gate on the Grand Union for all I know.

It happens, shame on those who need to do it.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Think yourself lucky. Chunks of an article I did on here, including a picture, appeared in Angling Times without any credit. A non-fishing article I wrote was published on an accountancy website in New Zealand although they did credit me in this instance.

As The Bad One says you just have to take it on the chin.

Rich P

Reaction score
Isn't there an umbrella organisation that deals with plagiarism? :)

As bottle rocket suggested, take it as flattery. It does seem like a nonsensical approach to review writing, however this chap may have little self-confidence and your review was the fillip he needed to go forward in the world.....