Atlantic Salmon Fishing At Sea

Chris Campbell

Reaction score
Has anyone ever successfully fished for Atlantic Salmon at sea? It must be able to be done as they feed at sea. Almost all fish are catchable and you can catch all the Pacific Salmon species at sea.

goonch

Reaction score
I believe most of them head north and feed in the cool deep waters around Greenland, the Faroes and Norway. I'm not sure how many stay within a reasonable distance of the British coastline, except perhaps around the north of Scotland.

Tracking them down would be the biggest problem I imagine.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen one jump while beach fishing near Dornoch in Scotland but never hooked one.

goonch

Reaction score
I've seen one jump while beach fishing near Dornoch in Scotland but never hooked one.

Sure it wasn't a sea trout? Sea trout stay much closer to shore and are most definitely a viable option for the angler, particularly in Scotland.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sure it wasn't a sea trout? Sea trout stay much closer to shore and are most definitely a viable option for the angler, particularly in Scotland.

It could have been a sea trout, a fleeting glance of a silver fish as it leaps is difficult to make a definite recognition; however, if it was a sea trout it was a big one, at least double figure.

My great uncle was one of the last licensed salmon netsmen on the river Dovey, it was well known that the salmon would hang around the estuary at times of low water in the river waiting for a spate before they would start their run, I can't see Scottish salmon being any different.