Cracking day on the Ribble

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Well done Chris, congratulations. The big girl looks to have the concord head, if you know what I mean. Those I've had over the years seemed to have a phenominal burst of speed. Once again, well done.

esox2914

Reaction score
Congratulations on the fish, but why the need to name the venue, and more worringly the exact stretches of the river, and what about an unhooking mat in your first photo :confused:

B

binka

Well done Chris, very nice fish.

My local River Trent has been a bit indifferent over the last week giving me a couple of mid-doubles and two blanks!

chris hall

Reaction score
Congratulations on the fish, but why the need to name the venue, and more worringly the exact stretches of the river, and what about an unhooking mat in your first photo :confused:

I unhooked the fish on soft sand still in the landing net, never caused any harm to the fish, and also that stretch is known to a lot of people and they would have recognized it from the picture anyway. The Eastern Europeans already know about it as there were a load up there that day too. Edited it now, but like I said its a well known mark.
Chris.

B

binka

The Eastern Europeans already know about it as there were a load up there that day too. Chris.

Funny you should mention that as I was approached by two Eastern Europeans whilst fishing last week, they asked in broken English what I was fishing for and I just shrugged my shoulders and hoped they hadn't seen the large float some way down the river.

A few weeks prior to this I had my license checked by two EA officials on the same stretch of water and the first thing they asked after I had produced my license was "Have you seen any fish being removed?".

I hadn't but after asking back if it was happening in the area they were in no uncertain mind that it was with the main species being barbel and pike.

Nothing to say the guys weren't genuine who approached me but it did make me suspicious and guarded with my reply.

Edited: Can't spull

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I unhooked the fish on soft sand still in the landing net, never caused any harm to the fish, and also that stretch is known to a lot of people and they would have recognized it from the picture anyway. The Eastern Europeans already know about it as there were a load up there that day too. Edited it now, but like I said its a well known mark.
Chris.

Well done Chris, nice fish!
Not tried the Ribble for Pike yet as I usually fish the Southport Drains for them and only use lures. Do you do much on the Leeds Liverpool canal pike wise? I have only had a few sessions with the lure up near the locks, no pike but had a few nice Perch!
Wish there was fish in the Yarrow as my other half lives across the road on the Gillibrand estate and it would be really handy :)

chav professor

Reaction score
Nice fish.... the unusual head kind of makes it even more special in some ways! Concorde head.... love it! You will have to get one of those head cam thingies that Mr G deploys to capture the magic ;)

chris hall

Reaction score
Well done Chris, nice fish!
Not tried the Ribble for Pike yet as I usually fish the Southport Drains for them and only use lures. Do you do much on the Leeds Liverpool canal pike wise? I have only had a few sessions with the lure up near the locks, no pike but had a few nice Perch!
Wish there was fish in the Yarrow as my other half lives across the road on the Gillibrand estate and it would be really handy :)
Hya Mark, I fish the canal for Pike with lures too, and although mainly jack pike I do catch them, try in the lock pounds and up around the top lock pub.If you fancy a crack at them one day let me know. Oh and the Yarrow, who told you there were no pike in there ;) PM me if you want a crack at the pike some day. The fish is certainly unusual Chav, it is a pity I could not have shown it all properly when holding it but I didn't want to put the fish in any kind of danger.
Cheers
Chris.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
This topic of odd shaped pike heads/jaws has interested me for years. I think it's safe to assume that most pike anglers are now familiar with the ''pug nosed pike'', when the tip of the upper snout is foreshortened, giving it a most peculiar appearance.

The ''concord headed pike'' well illustrated in Chris's picture is another uncommon example.

But for me, the rarest of these odd deformaties are the upturned snout, what my mates and I referred to as the ''toffee nose tarts''. My biggest fish of that catagory weighed 22.12 lbs, and was in ''pristine'' condition apart from the said weird jaw formation. So it appears that those pecularities don't hinder the well being/feeding process during the formative years of these fish, testimony to the resilience of the species.

I like to think so.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hya Mark, I fish the canal for Pike with lures too, and although mainly jack pike I do catch them, try in the lock pounds and up around the top lock pub.If you fancy a crack at them one day let me know. Oh and the Yarrow, who told you there were no pike in there ;) PM me if you want a crack at the pike some day. The fish is certainly unusual Chav, it is a pity I could not have shown it all properly when holding it but I didn't want to put the fish in any kind of danger.
Cheers
Chris.

Top lock pub! Now there's a landlord that can't keep a decent pint!

chris hall

Reaction score
There is nothing decent about him full stop. The name Richard Cranium comes to mind when talking about him.Like I said if your interested in a do on the canal or Yarrow for toothy critters, let me know. Oh and Derek's mention of toffee nosed tart and the top Lock pub are quite closely related believe me ;)
Chris

Last edited:

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Look, I know you're very excited and it is a lovely fish, but advertising the location in such an overt way will lead to this pike's death.

Several years ago I caught a very big pike from the Ribble. I told a few friends, that's all, and the fish remained unmolested. Then someone else caught her, some six months later. I heard about the capture and begged him to keep it quiet but no, he wanted his fifteen minutes of fame and he sent a picture to the Angling Times.

Pike floats appeared in every likely swim. The location of the fish soon got out and it was hounded and hounded. It was caught several times more, and then it was found dead, a trace in its throat.

The Ribble has a very very small head of pike. Some of them turn into special fish and yours might have done, but I fear it will be dead before Christmas.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I caught my big Barbel on a day ticket stretch of the Ribble I kept the Actual location secret as advised by a local guy who was fishing a little way from me. He said that because it was day ticket the place would be swarming with all sorts of folk trying to muscle in on the action, he said that he has caught some really nice Barbel, Bream and roach but he keeps quiet about it as he doesn't want the place spoilt. I know that sounds like a very selfish statement to make but I understand where he is coming from.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Absolutly right Mark, keeping quiet about the location of any big fish is paramount if you wish to protect a particular fish or venue.

Most species, when they attain specimen size are much sought after. So it goes without saying, they become vunerable to the ''instant success merchants''.

I know full well this to be true, having witnessed three favourite water's ruined in as little as four years by an influx of those same ''instant success merchants''.

Selfish, definately not.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Absolutly right Mark, keeping quiet about the location of any big fish is paramount if you wish to protect a particular fish or venue.

Most species, when they attain specimen size are much sought after. So it goes without saying, they become vunerable to the ''instant success merchants''.

I know full well this to be true, having witnessed three favourite water's ruined in as little as four years by an influx of those same ''instant success merchants''.

Selfish, definately not.

Funny thing is Derek I have not been back to that day ticket stretch since I got my club books. I am really not fussed about catching that same fish again even if it has grown on a bit as that's not what fishing is about for me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally I don't think it's clever to go advertising on the www when you catch a nice fish, deffo not clever to name the freekin stretch ! Lets face it it shows no respect for the other regular anglers at the venue.
A bit late now i'm afraid (if someone delets this thread it may still help).
Why on earth people need to brag like this beats me. Most sensible anglers scribble out the background of a picture to keep the water anonymous.