Beginners DSLR advice

N

NomadPaul

I am looking to buy a new digital SLR and get into photgraphy a bit more .

The model i'm looking at is a Nikon D40 which seems to get decent reviews as a beginners camera and i was wondering if anyone here has had any experience of this little number

All advice gratefully recieved

Paul

The Monk

Reaction score
I think the D40 is not a bad camera, but for what you will pay for one you could up the mega Pixels and go for something with 10, you can poick a D200 up for about £400 now

The Monk

Reaction score
a good camera mate, I saw it on thinkcamera, not sure which thread but check places like dixons, I`ll have a lookfor you tommorrow mate

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Monk surely you could flog him your old camera? -Pass it of as top notch

Colin Brett

Reaction score
"Monk surely you could flog him your old camera? -Pass it of as top notch"

It's almost as expensive as the D200/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Colin

The Monk

Reaction score
haha, no I`ll hang onto the D200 at the moment, I`ve had a look on site and the cheapest I can now find are £600 plus?, I`ve seen them at just over £400 though, I have however got an incredible Nikon F5 in you are interested, only £299.00 body only/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think you must be mistaken Monk, there are used ones on eBay already bid up to well over £400. And don't forget Bryan, that's for body only.

New ones are still fetchingat least£600, body only.

NomadPaul, if you only intend using it for the web, or for prints up to A4 then go for the D40; it uses exactly the same lenses as the D200 (and the D300 come to that).

If you want to get into more serious amateur photography then pay the extra and go for the D200.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
I've recently bought the D40x (10mp) and it does everything I want (and probably a lot more) So idiot proof even I can use it, I would say its an ideal 'starter' for DSLR world

The Monk

Reaction score
Yes I could be Graham/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, all I`m getting is around £600 now on the websites!

Only about a month off getting me D300 now, /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, you would believe the rubbish I`ve sold to get saving/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, the house looks a lot tidier now though and I`ve just found the cat again under a load of old books/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

N

NomadPaul

Thanks for the advice chaps . Normally i just rush headlong into these things but as its quite a lot of cash , i've actually decided to do some searching .

The one thing about the D40 that i've seen mentioned is the fact that the lens focus drive motor is incorporated in the lens itself , not the camera body . will this be a problem in the future if i decide to get more lenses ?

Paul B

Reaction score
I was in the same boat recently, looking at the D40, pentax K100super, olympus E-410 and canon 400d.

I bought the oly 410 twin lens kit on price, features and it felt right in in my hands. The nikonis much easier to get third partyaccessories for though i.e. flash guns, lenses spare batteries etc.

The d40 is hard to beat on price though with the £30 cash back off nikon and damn good kit lens. I don't think you'll have trouble getting lenses to fit; i think the ones without a motor in will fit but you'll have to focus manually.

Get down the shop and have a play! It's the best way!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Just means you will have to pay a little more if you get alternative lens.

You will find that just about every lens nikon made will fit with loss of some functions.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The problem with the D40, 60 and 80 are the programmes which generally speaking if you want a DSLR camera are not necessary. All you need is a programmed auto, shutter priority, aperture priority and fully manual modes. I guess the programmes are put there to satisfly Joe Public.

I would certainly recommend the D200 before the rest, and the D300 if you can afford it. I am only now coming to appreciate what a very fine camers the D300 is.

The Nikon F mount goes back to the 50s. It was right from the start and Nikon have chose never to change it. I hope they never do.

M

MarkTheSpark

Nikon's approach has been to maintain the mechanical linkage between aperture ring/stop-down and camera body so the old lenses work a bit, but to work properly, the camera needs to talk to the lens electronically. That's the only way you can take advantage of the many features offered by the dslr.

I cling on to my old 80-200 f2.8 (now more like a 120-300) because it's sharp, but also through pure sentiment. The news lenses are lighter, sharper and smarter. When I've got the dough, I'll upgrade.

D40? Top camera. Couple it with a Tokina 12-24 (lovely and almost as sharp as the Nikon) and a 24-70 2.8 Sigma and you have everything you need. Yes, I know everyone will suggest getting a 16-400 zoom, but if you do, you're nuts or broke. If they were any good, why don't the professionals use them? They're OK - a Ford Fiesta. Camera bodies don't matter - pick the right lens first. Invest in a Mercedes... last a lifetime, like my 80-200, being hammered for 20 years and still great.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

16 - 400 super zooms or similar are truly horrid lenses to use and the performance will never equal a more modest 18 to 70 zoom for example. You are right Mark, pros just do not use such tripe.