good multipiece rod for float fishing

Reaction score
i need a good multipiece travel rod for float fishing of the rocks or pier.i was thinking of using a john wilsionn travel quiver rod which has a 1.25lb test curve with 1oz,2oz and 3oz. so basically i need a multipiece float/spin rod.

David Dalton

Reaction score
It might be worth using the barbel version of the JW multi piece Avon. This has a test curve of 1.75 pounds. The rod you mentioned is a bit light for sea work.

aebitim

Reaction score
Diawa twighlight barbel 2.25 4 piece, it has an avon top and a quiver top. The quiver top works brilliantly for float fishing, it will cast small piker or zepler floats with ease. The avon top is ok for spinning and ledgering it will cast a 3 oz lead. Mine has traveled abroad several times and has caught numerous pollock wrasse bass etc at home. It is even a decent enough barbel rod.

Reaction score
if i bought the barbel could i still use it for small f1 carp and iv only got £70instead of the barbel rod I was thinking of getting a spinning rod like the okuma lure extreme.is this rod 9ft or 9ft 9 because the other rods are 8ft 1, 8ft 9, 9ft 3 and 9ft 9

Last edited:

chris hall

Reaction score
I have a couple of these, [ame=http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/130404389992?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y]NEW SHIMANO EXAGE STC 12FT 3LB TRAVEL CARP ROD on eBay![/ame]
They can be found for less than this and you can get a 2.75lb version too. I have used them for wrasse and pollock fishing as well as light beach lead work for bass doggies and flatties. I also use them for Pike too. They are ideal for traveling as they in a hard tube. I strap them to my motorbike when I go anywhere camping near to a fishable water.
Chris

Reaction score
what about the rovex nitruim 2 12ft in 3lb.whats the casting wt for 3lb test rod.

B

binka

I had a Greys 9/12' four piece stalker which was bomb proof until I stood on the tip last week and killed it, served me very well for over ten years from wrasse and pollack fishing off the rocks at Pemberth in Cornwall to pike well into the 20's... a very versatile rod and a lovely through action too for a four piecer.

I've just checked the Greys website and don't see a current version but it might be worth keeping an eye on Ebay.

aebitim

Reaction score
Always a temptation to fish too light in the sea, I dont think you will be able to find a rod that will work on Fi carp and fish any sense in the sea. What bike do you ride Chris, I fish by Guzzi.

Reaction score
iv decided to buy a sea only rod and still only got £70.so what pound test would you recommend.and does anyone know if they okuma rod is a 9ft or 9ft 9 as i cant find it on they okuma website.iv also saw this FTD FLADEN - All Rounder Telescopic Fishing Rod (cw 40-80g) & Freespool Baitrunner 5000 Reel & Shoulder Bag Set (capable of light sea fishing): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41v8dfu9a8L.@@AMEPARAM@@41v8dfu9a8L it looked great for some light mullet/bass float fishing or
this
Jarvis Walker Sovereign 12 ft Bass Fishing Rod 5 Piece: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418Eaq%2Bm3pL.@@AMEPARAM@@418Eaq%2Bm3pL
which would you say is better for light sea work

chris hall

Reaction score
Always a temptation to fish too light in the sea, I dont think you will be able to find a rod that will work on Fi carp and fish any sense in the sea. What bike do you ride Chris, I fish by Guzzi.
At the moment I fish by Honda Varadero, but its predecessor an Aprilia Caponord was a better bike for loading up with gear and venturing off the paved path. I need to change the luggage racks on this thing and lower it a bit, but it is more reliable and better on juice. Which Guzzi do you have? I also have a ducati Diavel which is a useless pack mule.
Chris

aebitim

Reaction score
At the moment its a monza based bitsa while the t t [trail bike guzzi, believe it or not] is undergoing a refit. Had a modern 750 ss for a while and absolutely loved it, but as you say not a pack mule. Tim

---------- Post added at 04:15 ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 ----------

iv decided to buy a sea only rod and still only got £70.so what pound test would you recommend.and does anyone know if they okuma rod is a 9ft or 9ft 9 as i cant find it on they okuma website.iv also saw this FTD FLADEN - All Rounder Telescopic Fishing Rod (cw 40-80g) & Freespool Baitrunner 5000 Reel & Shoulder Bag Set (capable of light sea fishing): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors it looked great for some light mullet/bass float fishing or
this
Jarvis Walker Sovereign 12 ft Bass Fishing Rod 5 Piece: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
which would you say is better for light sea work
Not wanting to labour the point but save your money and buy the twighlight, sea fishing is tough on gear and cheap stuff will not only spoil your fishing it will also break. If you are dead set on a cheapy, buy the 12ft one purely on the length. good luck

Reaction score
what about the okuma originally 94.99 does anyone now about the length

chris hall

Reaction score
That Jarvis walker rod looks a very nice piece of kit, and should do what you need of it. Jarvis Walker seem to make some good quality rods, and at that price I would be tempted by one too.
Chris.

Reaction score
if I bought the Jarvis walker could it detect bites from small rockfish and mackerel.if I bought the okuma 9ft 9 16-65gr could I do some float fishing with it

chris hall

Reaction score
the jarvis walker looks good for detecting nibbles from smaller fish, if you are float fishing that won't be a problem as they usually hit the bait and run with it. I haven't looked at the okuma rod, so can't comment on that one.
chris

Reaction score
il get the Jarvis walker.For a reel should I buy cheap or spend lots on a quality saltwater reel

chris hall

Reaction score
I would personally go for a decent salt water resistant reel, I use a shimano 6000 baitrunner for float fishing off the rocks and it has done me great service,as it is also used for piking during the autumn/winter. Have a look round for a front drag reel as one of these would be a good investment, if you are not going for a bait runner. A wide spool is good too, and a decent retrieve ratio for picking line up. I also use floating braid when float fishing as it is easier to pick up and has less chance of snagging. A mono leader is also a good idea especially a fluorocarbon one.
Chris.

Reaction score
il use a old Shakespeare freespool/baitrunner size 4000 and evantually upgrade to a lighter weight reel