A few different floats

scottt

Reaction score
After making plenty of floats for myself and a few friends i thought i would try something a bit different and make a few floats for display only.
I dont intend to fish with these but they will sit on my desk or bookcase, i went for the more traditional style floats to start with as they always look good, next step is to try a few pole floats using similar materials.
I've always like the way natural wood looks and i think it suits these floats.

An inverted crowquill, the body and base made from a Yew log.
invertedcrowquill.jpg

A driftbeater, mahogany tip, 1mm cane bristle, spalted Beech body again in a Yew log base.
Driftbeater.jpg

Goose quill avon, spalted Beech body and another Yew log base
spaltedavon.jpg

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Like the Avon.

Are they "normal" size? I reckon scaled up versions would be very good. I think three Avons set in a wooden base would look superb and I'd buy a couple of sets!

beerweasel

Reaction score
I too like the Avon, I reckon if you used Burr Walnut or Birdseye Maple they would sell really well.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are the floats as shown just for display as I think the yew bodies look great but the weight and buoyancy of the bodies would detract from the performance of more traditional materials like cork or elder pith. Have you ever made any Norfolk Reed floats step graded and whipped they display and fish well. What sort of money are you thinking of selling these floats for as I would be interested in purchasing some .

goonch

Reaction score
Like the Avon.

Are they "normal" size? I reckon scaled up versions would be very good. I think three Avons set in a wooden base would look superb and I'd buy a couple of sets!

I'd agree with that. A set of three together in one base would make a very nice display item. They look great.