Do you suggest to fish nearby or far away?

factsoflife777

Reaction score
I love fishing. However, there are times that I think that the preparation takes up most of the time. On top of that, I also need to travel hours or even days to go fishing. I read in this article (http://fishtalkblog.com/uncategorize...-fish-locally/) that fishing locally would be great too. However, I think that it is not as great as being able to travel out of town and fully relax. Though I think that is also an advantage if I can find a place that is near where I can go fishing. What do you think?

rubio

Reaction score
Sounds to me that from what you say 80% of my fishing sessions are shorter than your drive to a venue. I love exploring a new stretch of river or untried lake but still do most fishing close to home. Even after 30 plus years of fishing the same area I have recently found a new mill pool that I never knew of. Luckily no-one else seems to be aware of it either.
I prefer to save on petrol and fish more frequently.

chav professor

Reaction score
97% of my fishing takes place 15 minutes from home - sometimes 2 mins! I do like traveling too and trying something new. Preparation? Knocking up a bit of cheese paste - tackle? always in the van!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It might be a bit more interesting if you told us where you live, and what you fish for, and why your preparation takes so long...

and by the by,

Is the attached blog yours?

B

binka

If you love your fishing but are finding travelling and preparation a labour then it sounds like you are loving your fishing a little less than if you explored some closer venues?

It's difficult without knowing where you are but usually there are a few local gems for anyone prepared to give them a try, I joined my local club water in January after a thirty year absence and love it for a few hours after work in the summer but equally I enjoy fishing the local dam just off the town centre where you are often alone and bagging, occasionally there is the local res which is rock hard but it doesn't detract from the relaxation and pleasure of fishing and often brings a far greater feeling of achievement catching the odd fish than bagging up elsewhere.

For weekends and time off I travel to the river and I feel I have all the diversity and satisfaction that I need, I just pick the venues according to time and mood.

chav professor

Reaction score
Given that this is the sea fishing forum...... Making traces, stripping multipliers, re-tuning, re-lining, bait digging/collecting and managing 1 or 2 fridges.... Yes I have been a sea fishing obsessive.... and yes i spent more time preparing than actual fishing!

After all that effort, you may end up catching a few pouting and an undersized pin whiting! On the other hand a haul of sizable Bass, Cod or sole. You can only catch what the tide puts in front of you.

Last edited: