Rebuilding Old Rods ? Part 2

Reaction score
Interesting series Kevin. I'm looking forward to see how you get on.

Pay attention folks Kevin is going to show us that you really can polish a turd!

Reaction score
Captain Paranoia is sat on Kevin's shoulder right now, whispering," Kevin...Kevin....it looks like only Sean and Matt have read your article Kevin. Did anybody else read it Kevin. You'll never know will you...if only Granville Marzipan would put a counter up. That would be good wouldn't it Kevin....butwhat if just said 2...you might go mad!"

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Bugger off, Captain, I need all the advice I can get! My Hardy Lightweight's whole cane butt has split, I've got a Farlow's fly rod whose strips need re-gluing, and I haven't a clue which glue to use; and I need to bodge a few ferrules as well.

If anyone knows about sourcing and brazing brass sheet, I've a Peek roach-pole and a Forrest of Thurso greenheart salmon rod with split/worn ferrules...

And my little 11' Milbro has a pinned ferrule which wobbles on the blank - how the deuce do you un-pin such a thing?

I had a rod like Kevin's, loved it as a fly rod, but abused it horribly as a quiver-tip in the days before such things existed!

C'mon Kevin, your public awaits!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Matt

I knocked Cpt Paranoia off my shoulder some time ago with a spectacularly failed piece of vanity publishing. So to that end,the last part of your comment:

"If only Granville Marzipan would put a counter up. That would be good wouldn't it Kevin....butwhat if just said 2...you might go mad"

Is only incorrectin as much as the supposition atthe end is wrong. To have written over 200 articles for FM with precious litlereal angling expertise to relate to,or any hint ofprevious literary experience, calls for you to be eitherbarking mad, or at the very least, wired up a bit differently.

The current series doesn't appear under the usual 'Alternative Angler' masthead, because I am trying to do something different (for me) and write articles which do not contain the normal scattergun approach that I employ in my often vain search to find something 'funny' to write about.

And believe it or not, I find the factual articles even harder to write than the allegedlyhumorous ones, because I can't fall back on the witty/sarcastic/satrical comment to fill upthe word count.

Of all the minless twaddle I write, Iam most pleased with TickleTackle and Donaldand Damien, neither of which, it has to be said, appeal to the mass anglingaudience, but both of which appear to have found a niche hereon FM

So, as long as one rather important person reads them (Graham) and decides they are good enough to put them up on FM, the number of 'hits' after that is of no great consequence

Reaction score
Sorry Kevin I forgot the smiley thing! I hope mytongue in cheek comments appealed to your sense of humour rather than push the wrong buttons /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Alan

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I am trying to get the details of the people who are, and/or any dodges that can be applied. The idea is to try and galvanise anglers to attemptto do a bit of restoration themselves to bring these often loved but discarded old rods back into use.

As to the split glue lines on your fly rod, there must be a modern adhesive that can tackle a job like this with ease. I will start asking round, and as you are only down the road from me, maybe between us we could make that Project No 2........!

And Matt, not every mention of No. 2 has the connotation you may make,,,,,,,,

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Matt

No offence taken, I'm looking forward to meeting you at Clattercote tomorrow. In case youdont recognise me, I'm 6'8'' tall, around 18 stone, I'll be wearing my Harlequin's prop forward shirt, and I'll have a baseball bat stapped to the outside of my rod quiver................./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifDon't be fooled by the photo of the funny looking weedy chap on my avitar.

I'll have you know I am 6th Dan in Llapp Gogch, a little knownWelsh self defense method that relies on the body weight of the apponent. Bring it on fat boy.

Just realise I a molested your 'serious' article thread. Right back to bait box.

W

Wolfman Woody

What's that smell?

Bovine?

Cow?

Bull?

That's it, bullsh*t!

Good luck with it Kevin. Looks like you'll need it.

And I wish there were counters on the articles. I doubt mine on ThinkCamera are getting any readers thanks to the Editor tucking any news of them well away.

W

Wolfman Woody

Should also say, Kevin, get yourself around to that address. It looks a right posh area.

Have a look on Multimap's new bird's eye view.

You might get a tea or a handout or something.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Moaning Marlow Meldrew wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>You might get a tea or a handout or something.</blockquote>
Out of pitty

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Looking forward to the rest of next instalment. Have a couple of old split cane rods in the fishing room.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Kevin - rod building/restoring is somethingI'd love to do - but alas my abilities are a little lacking in the DIY area. The only thing I've ever made were some shelvesi nmy garage and these involved bits of spare wood, nails and glue.

Good luck and let us all know how you go on

Keith M

Reaction score
A question that I haveoften pondered: IfI getmy B.James & Son Richard Walker MK1V restored/revarnished can they also replace a part damaged Richard Walkersignature label/Transfer? or is it (as I suspect) not feasable?