Luncheon Meat

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
HELP-THIS IS SERIOUS!

Was a time when I could pick up a few dozen tins of Princes Luncheon Meat(or similar)from Tescos or Asda BUT try as I might I cannot find any!

Yes,I could pay through the nose at a Tackle Shop but I cannot afford this for the amount I want

<u>Questions</u>

Does anyone know where I can find some in the HIGH WYCOMBE Bucks area?

Does anyone know where I can buy this in bulk-it was possible to buy 7lb tins years ago-or small tins in large quantities?

Please note-I want Luncheon meat NOT Bacon Grill or Spam!!

ps The carp are loving it in this cold weather!!

R

Roto Fryer

spam is luncheon meat!

first made in 1937 and is in fact the original luncheon meat!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
SPAM

"Shoulder of Pork And haM"

"SPiced hAM",

"Special Purpose Army Meat"

or my favourite:

"Solidified Processed Additional Meats"

Call it what you like, but it is readily available in our local; Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose.

R

Roto Fryer

it is none of the above.

spam was named by a guy called ken who won a competition to name it. he won $100

NIGE K

Reaction score
i use the lidls chopped ham n pork its tasty but firm for the hook

Joey

Reaction score
I've found one of the best to be Co-ops own brand, it's nice firm stuff, stays on the hook or hair well and the fish seem yo love it.

I wouldn't eat it myself though.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Well I must be going mad as Ive got three tins labelled Spam,Luncheon meat and Bacon Grill and without fear of contradiction they are completely different products!!

Anyway thanks for the response-I shall try the Co-op brand as it seem dead right!

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Tee_Cee, I had a look at tesco.com and they still do princes pork luncheon meat, currently £1.02 for 300g tin.

If you really want some try ordering it online.

Keith M

Reaction score
We used to use Tulip, plumrose orPrinces Luncheon Meat for Barbel and it definatelyhad a differenttextureto Spam; luncheonmeat was a lot more meatier anda slightly deeper colour whereas Spam was always amuchpaler colourwith a uniform consistancy. I don't know if it has changed over the years as I still only use Luncheonmeat or ChoppedPork & Hamand so can't comment on SPAM, perhaps it has got a lot better over the years?.

W

Wolfman Woody

Tulip was by far the best, but I had to smuggle it down south past the border guards in Birmingham from oop norf, Morrisons in Dukinfield to be precise. 2-3 dozen tins at a time hidden in a secret compartment under the boot floor.

Deanos

Reaction score
Let me tell you, if it wasnt for luncheon meat....everyone in Yorkshire would starve!

We are very poor, so stop nicking all our food Woody!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I tried Sainsburys,Waitrose,Asda,and Tesco in High Wycombe to no avail.BUT I had success at Morrisons also in HW if only'own brand'stuff and labelled Premium Luncheon Meat.

I cannot imagine what Premium might mean but I bought 8 tins anyway to give it afair trialand I'm after the Carp again....

Thanks for your replies and the humour

Tee-Cee

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Tulip......my Dad swore by it!!!! and caught one of the first Severn big barbs on it.

wheres it gone?????

Joey

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul (Brummie) Williams wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Tulip......my Dad swore by it!!!! and caught one of the first Severn big barbs on it.

wheres it gone?????</blockquote>
Tulip was produced by Cadburys. I don't think they still do it.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Merv/Joey

I have emailed Tulip to ask where Luncheon meat can be found but no reply after four days(no rush then).

From the website it seems they do a pretty good range of meats-I just need to find an outlet!!

neilcod

Reaction score
get to the paki shop theyve allways got lunchonmeat (plumrose)is the best i mean them sort of shops are all over the place on every st corner hahaha/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif. the best bait for me maize carn't go wrong im tellin yerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr