'Rolling me Own'

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to this coming season in the hope of pulling out my fair share. I’ve gone for it on the boilie making front and I’m now confident with my end results regarding shape, colour, texture and smell. On completion, I’ve let them air for 48 hours then stuffed them in the freezer.

My question is: is it possible to turn these boilies into shelf life instead of freezing them? I found some frozen boilies in the bottom of my bag last season with copious amounts of mould on them, is this due to the egg content?

M

Malcolm Bason

Hi Stuart. Try air-drying them for a LOT longer and then freeze them - this will prolong their 'use-by-date' considerably! Rik's probably the one advise you any more than this. Regards the latter part of your question, I would imagine you are correct in your assumption, because sureley mould would only form because of moisture present?

P

Paul Williams

Happy new picture Stuart.....do you have one leg shorter than the other?....only you are always tilting! ;)

C

Cakey

Len said could he borrow a couple boilies for another outing hes arranging soon.
p.s. youve left the rolling table on your head !!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Kind of Paul, Unfortunately I had a motorbike accident some three years ago and lost both of them.

Any more sarcastic comments?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Len, that aint your boys name is it? If it is please apologise as I'm sure I was calling him by another name all day.

Yeah wheres he going?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I'm only messing with you Paul, reading it back, that sounds a really awful thing to say - so sorry!

woops, the real reason for the tilt is the liquiers I put in my boilies!

M

Malcolm Bason

Ya ai'nt sposed to eat em Stuart - ya sposed to put em on the hair! tut tut tut

P

Paul Williams

Yeh Stuart it did sound awful.....but because of your second mail i wont tell you Bo****s!

M

Marker

hi stuart....
air dry your baits for a few weeks....don't freeze them at all,as putting them in the freezer will just add moisture to them...when they are totally dry,store them in a loose weave sack,or a net type bag,anything that lets the air in.
don't store in plastic bags,as your baits will 'sweat' this moisture will be enough to start them going mouldy within days.
cheers mark.

C

Cakey

Stuart im not ignoring you ntl up wall and freeserve not working msn properly.

Paul he aint got no legs ,I saw him ar**ng about on walthamstow !!
Mind you he called it fishing.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Cheers Mark, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on. As for the rest of you! And you cakey, three days in April fella, you gotta sleep sometime mate!

Me and Rik have a special little treat for you!

Love and Kisses!
Wahaaa!

C

Carp Angler

Stu

air dry your baits on dry towels in the airing cupboard for 48 hours and then dump them in a big bucket of micro pellets for about a week.
Then you can bag them in either mesh or brown paper(mushroom) bags.

your baits may start to crack as the moisture is wicked away as they are quite dense, there is no need to worry about this.

The baits will look unappealing to yourself once dried out, but 5 minutes back in the water and they return to normal, except that they have some kind of mushy coating which drifts off, which I feel makes them more appealing as loosefeed.

Hookbaits are created in near enough the same way, except that I drill them before they dry out and then once they've been in the pellet, I then give them a coating or glug of attractant.

Super stuff.

Roll on April.

Cakey, you ever slept under the stars?

C

Cakey

Malcolm, I could come back and take the pi$$ out of you, but from your picture, it looks like nature done a good enuf job of that !