Especially for Jeff W

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Thanks Fred, Sorry I’ve been a little slow on this.

The River Wye in Wycombe was a feature running along a row of houses at one time. It separated the houses from the main road and folks had little bridges to cross.

BFP04522.jpg

It was quite unique really, but all came to an end in the 60s. The houses were demolished, the river culverted and a great section from Bridge St. to Newland St. and the new Tesco store was transformed into a nice car park.

RHW12223.jpg

That's the scene looking towards the new Tesco (just out of view on right) and the roundabout. But it wasn't always a pretty picture. This is a view of the area (c. 1905) long before Tesco came.

RHW01094.jpg

Reminds me of a bit of my home town in the north. This is where the Hughenden Stream used to meet the Wye, but the only places you can see the Stream now is in Hughenden Park, beneath Disraeli's old gaff, and by the side of the new Morrisons store. The stream is dry for much of the time thanks to the water company draining the aquifers dry.

Even the Wye itself was pretty dry last year, I looked on Dashwood's land where its source is and they only just managed to keep their trout pools wet. The Wye was fed by these and there was nothing coming from them then. The only other feed to the Wye is a backwater from the Dyke in Wycombe and the STW in Marlow pumping recycled water back in to it. Such a shame really.

PS: when I was of a political mind (1980s) we, our party that is, put forward a plan for a new shopping centre that would incorporate the Wye as a main feature with a pedestrian area and trees and shop fronts facing the river. Alas, profit got in the way and it's all been built over yet again. And they call this "Eden".....

High-Wycombe1-700x290.jpg

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks Fred,
Some interesting bemusing's I thought...

the river is the distillation of the landscape

on pike fishing, something resembling a small canary

its not failure we fear but perfection

old tackle tells a story about forgotten anglers

its fun and hard with very little reward most of the time

blood knots author, my writings about why we fish not how we fish

etc.

Seen as I'm in a melancholy mood...
On reflection, at first it was a simple case of trying something different after witnessing an older boys success fishing a local mill pond, it just had to be experienced, for what ever it was.
The thought of angling for fish was as an intriguing and challenging concept that might satisfy my boyish curiosity and a test of my own abilities and potential. A simple and rudimentary concept of fulfilling my natural instincts with the thought of catching and holding a real live wet scaly creature in my hand to marvel at for a few moments, with few tools, was just wonderfully irresistible. The capture for admire not keep, the first captivating experience of bringing a fish into our dry alien world to lay gently in my young hand would be a "look what I can do" moment to remember for sure. I was right, but that first experience quickly grew into a lifetime of never ending personal challenges in the pursuit of wary and elusive water dwelling finned creatures of different types. Like myself, most anglers, who have fished since childhood will still yearn for old times and reflect nostalgically on days of learning and first time life experiences, but will have also inevitably learned of our planet and the other wonderful wildlife inhabitants along the way as we sit patiently at the waters edge, as well as new ways to catch and outwit fish such as the nature of them and our pastime.
-----------

The Pigeon bridge brook, (next to Rother Valley country park) for many years had existed in an underground culvert has been restored to its natural form as an open stream that flows through the area. I also recently heard of a stream (a Don tributary?) going through a culvert in the middle of Rotherham City centre is said to be uncovered later next year.

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Thanks Fred,

An enjoyble 30 mins. I won't get out this week (going bread making at River Cottage with the missus!) but having listened to that I feel that I have.

Laguna put it far more eloquently than I could so, apart from the 'norven' bits, ditto!

It's also revived a bit of faith in the forum which has become a bit disapointing recently, I find myself logging in in the vain hope of some interesting reasoned debate or something of interest and then after a few minutes logging off, sometimes shaking my head in disbelief.

Good Post.

Thanks.

Stu