Is there such a thing?

laguna

Reaction score
as a vegan angler?

These are dietary, ethical and lifestyle choices and good luck and respect to them but most seem to follow the philosophy that rejects the commodity status of sentient animals, but is there such an animal?

Vegan not Vagan ;)

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Loads of them.
Vagan travel guide

Fishing is the most important source of income. Vågan has North Norway´s second largest fisheries and is North Norway´s largest aquacultural municipality.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
as a vegan angler?

These are dietary, ethical and lifestyle choices and good luck and respect to them but most seem to follow the philosophy that rejects the commodity status of sentient animals, but is there such an animal?

Vegan not Vagan ;)

Doubt it , My Daughters Vegan so it would contravene her beliefs, even if she wanted to do it

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen a healthy Vegan or even a Veggie for that matter?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen a healthy Vegan or even a Veggie for that matter?

Do you always believe the common stereotypes ? A lot of vegan food is very nice and an easy way to get your five a day , you don't have to go totally vegan or veggie to benefit from a change in diet , also a non processed diet is what your body has evolved to eat , for me that includes meat , but it doesn't have to.

It pains me when you see young parents buying their kids breakfast at the paper shop from the chocolate and crisp counter.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I think someone asked this before, but you go into any restaurant and they always provide a dish or two for veggies, but go into a vegetarian restaurant and they don't provide anything with meat in it. Ain't that fair, init?

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are plenty of healthy vegetarians and vegans out there. All power to them, even if I don't understand them and could never join them.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you always believe the common stereotypes ? A lot of vegan food is very nice and an easy way to get your five a day , you don't have to go totally vegan or veggie to benefit from a change in diet , also a non processed diet is what your body has evolved to eat , for me that includes meat , but it doesn't have to.

It pains me when you see young parents buying their kids breakfast at the paper shop from the chocolate and crisp counter.

Ref the last sentence,
Do you always believe the common stereotypes?

What would you consider a healthy breakfast to consist of? Cereals, toast, full English (God forbid) fruit, muesli?
Dietitians will steer you towards complex carbs and orange juice, and extra fluids to offset the night time dehydration. To me that's beans on toast and a pot of tea but each to their own.

Judas Priest

Reaction score

No common stereotypes from me. I've a sister in law (vegan) and a couple of friends who are vegetarian and not one of them looks healthy and allways seem to have a cold or something going on.

Exactly who has decided that man should eat 5 a day and how much constitutes 5 a day, wouldn't be someone with links to the food industry would it ?

B

Berty

A couple of friends are, great lads and its their choice, i can't see it as relevant to being an angler.

They are good anglers and great blokes.

laguna

Reaction score
I could quite easily give up meat, in fact I have cut down considerably over recent years due to health problems and I dont even miss it that much to be honest. I would more than likely give it up altogether if I had to personally kill and process the meat myself but one things for sure, I could never give up fishing even if I chose to turn vegy or vegan (veganism in the dietary sense).

I used to question why cows are fat, given that they only eat grass and hay... :eek:mg:

B

Berty

I just love good food.......i dont really care if its animal or vegtable...preferably both!

I'm lucky in that i can break bread with meat or veg eaters and be happy.

Teetotallers though really **** me off :)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Ref the last sentence,
Do you always believe the common stereotypes?

What would you consider a healthy breakfast to consist of? Cereals, toast, full English (God forbid) fruit, muesli?
Dietitians will steer you towards complex carbs and orange juice, and extra fluids to offset the night time dehydration. To me that's beans on toast and a pot of tea but each to their own.

you are right of course I was stereotyping a little but I didn't say all young mothers , veggie or vegan can be an extremely healthy option and its aim is partly to be healthy , giving your kids chocolates or crisps for breakfast , regularly just doesn't seem right to me.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

No common stereotypes from me. I've a sister in law (vegan) and a couple of friends who are vegetarian and not one of them looks healthy and allways seem to have a cold or something going on.

Exactly who has decided that man should eat 5 a day and how much constitutes 5 a day, wouldn't be someone with links to the food industry would it ?

My daughter looks very healthy , she exercises for over an hour a day , she is very aware of what she should eat , how many of us have looked at our diet so carefully ? and I did note , last time I went to a vegan festival there was hardly anyone over weight.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some people chose a vegetarian diet for ethical reasons, others for health reasons.
My daughter had a friend in college who was a vegetarian for ethical reasons but didn't like vegetables.
As a consequence she lived on potatoes, mostly mashed or chips, and tomato ketchup.
No way could she be described as healthy. She ended up being hospitalised and referred to a special unit for eating disorders.

I see her as the other end of the spectrum to the well educated health concious vegetarian who plans their meals and works hard to eat a balanced diet encompassing the three main food groups (carbohydrates, proteins and fats), they will have glossy hair good skin and a shiny colon.
In my experience however most vegetarians fall somewhere between the two extremes and bumble along like the rest of us doing the best we can but without the meat.

To go back to the original question , the vegan angler, if he is a vegan for ethical reasons would probably not have anything whatsoever to do with anything which harms another living creature, he would probably have great difficulty in even sticking a hook in a maggot. If however he was a vegan for health reasons should have no problems whatsoever.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Some people chose a vegetarian diet for ethical reasons, others for health reasons.
My daughter had a friend in college who was a vegetarian for ethical reasons but didn't like vegetables.
As a consequence she lived on potatoes, mostly mashed or chips, and tomato ketchup.
No way could she be described as healthy. She ended up being hospitalised and referred to a special unit for eating disorders.

I see her as the other end of the spectrum to the well educated health concious vegetarian who plans their meals and works hard to eat a balanced diet encompassing the three main food groups (carbohydrates, proteins and fats), they will have glossy hair good skin and a shiny colon.
In my experience however most vegetarians fall somewhere between the two extremes and bumble along like the rest of us doing the best we can but without the meat.

To go back to the original question , the vegan angler, if he is a vegan for ethical reasons would probably not have anything whatsoever to do with anything which harms another living creature, he would probably have great difficulty in even sticking a hook in a maggot. If however he was a vegan for health reasons should have no problems whatsoever.

Last vegan festival I went too ( never wear a leather Jacket to one of those ) has a massive stall FISH THE FORGOTTEN VICTIMS nothing to do with angling - rather trawling - might be a good excuse for the mysterious antis i.e. the degree which coarse fish which are caught and released ( or sometimes caught in my case ) as opposed to the wholesale processing of sea caught fish , in fact this is something in which anglers might become conservation champions.

My daughter is studying sciences at Leicester UNI so she is quite well informed in this area , as you say though , unlike a lot of us, including me

Today I had a bacon and egg sarnie , chicken and stuffing sarnies on home made bread ( much cheaper and nicer ) and then a chicken leg and a massive salad.

thx1138

Reaction score
As a fishing coach, I've always said that we can enllighten 99.9% of people of the value or enjoyment that fishing brings, and most will be happy that the fish are not harmed (coarse fishing anyway). I've 'converted' dozens of vegetarians to fishing, but in my experience, 'ethical vegans' (more vegan than dietry vegans) present an altogether different challenge.

Trying to sell the virtues of coarse fishing to a hardened vegan is pretty much out of the question, especially if using livebait like maggots.

I did however have some success on a fly-fishing beginners day teaching a young vegan woman. She enjoyed tying the flies, and learning casting-techniques. She even had a go at fishing, provided that we tied a piece of red wool onto her line, instead of a fly based on a hook.

The downfall came when the hungry rainbows in the well-stocked pool started to show themselves and "take" her wool lure. She asked why there was so many fish, and we told her that they were farm-bred fish that had been stocked only the day before, at which point she put down the rod and marched back to the car park. :rolleyes:

piscator non solum piscatur ;)

bullet

Reaction score
Mmm...vegetarianism by choice.

Found almost exclusively in developed western countries.:confused:

Diet consists mainly of chocolate,biscuits and cheese.:)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My brother is a vegetarian has been for at least forty years he has always been very trim but he gets every cough cold and viral infection going. Where as I am at least a stone over weight and eat normal diet and get very few coughs and colds ect. I enjoy my veg and salads and could if I had to eat them alone but from what I have seen of my brother I would not be a vegetarian by choice.

laguna

Reaction score
The English word 'vegetarian' is first found in print publications in 1842. "At any rate there is generally with vegetarians, and especially fruit eaters, a calmness and even sweetness of temper, and we believe also a clearness of reason, that are highly desirable for humanity, and for health" - from page 35 of The Healthian Vol.1, No.5, April 1842.

Not many vegies on FM then!!! :eek:mg:

Hidden animal ingredients in your food? Vegans and vegetarians alike are often unaware that products we consume might contain animal ingredients and/or by-products of animals such as these...:eek:

Animal Ingredient List A-Z