Fishing maver larford

J

Jon Read

hi

has anyone fished at mavers larford lake for the carp?
if so how should i fish and where because i have never been before and am thinking of doing a night there on friday.
regards jon

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Jon

I last fished it about this time last year, maybe a bit later, early April maybe. If the weather is quite warm the road side is the shallower and the carp move into there, and up by the island is good. If it's a bit cooler, then the far side has deeper water.

Just ask the bailiffs, they will put you on to where the fish have been showing. There's also a chance of a very big bream from Larford, well into double figures.

P

Paul Thompson

Jon,
Worth checking about the night fishing. I believe there was a night syndicate in force, but since they have developed the lake it may have changed.
If you search previous threads there is a link to their web page with contact nos etc.
Let us know how you get on, and how the place looks now, as last time I went, there was a horrible great mud bank being constructed around the top end to section off the match pool.
The donkey walloper...

A

Alistair Campbell

Have fished there a few years ago when he first opened it as a carp fishery. There used to be some big (original) fish in there, however there was a big fish kill and the majority of the fish were lost. In my opinion the place is not worth bothering with unless it has undergone a further stocking of some decent fish. Last I heard he stocked a few hundred 5 pounders which are now approaching 10-12 pounds.

The river severn at the back is a much more interesting proposition for the carp. If u want more info about the river drop me an e-mail.

Al

P

Paul Williams

A fish kill eh?......did anyone see any of the corpses?

A

Alistair Campbell

Paul,

I was there when it happened. There were dustbins full of fish that were eventually buried.

G

Gary Knowles

Alistair,

Was it just carp that died or where the large bream affected ?

A

Alistair Campbell

Gary,

There were no bream affected as far as I can remember It just seemed to be the carp.

Have you had any luck with the bream on there? I managed two doubles myself when I was fishing there?

A

Alistair Campbell

Gary,

There were no bream affected as far as I can remember It just seemed to be the carp.

Have you had any luck with the bream on there? I managed two doubles myself when I was fishing there.

P

Paul Williams

Alistar,
Did the large original fish roll over?......imho they were making a right pigs ear of it last time i drove past....it was a decent little pit before, i often fished it when it was BAA, shame they didn't hold on to it and develop it a little.......but it was hard going for the clubbies :(

A

Alistair Campbell

Paul,

It use to be a great place. I lived in astley when I was a kid and many a weekend was spent fishing there and on the severn.

From what I saw on there the majority of the original fish died. It was heartbreaking to watch because there were some lovley fish in there.

I belive it was because the owner was undertaking dodgy stockings of fish into the lake to make it more appealing to match fisherman. At the moment he is splitting the lake into two?

G

Gary Knowles

Alistair,

I've only fished it a couple of times, both last year and specifically targetted the bream. As usual I managed a few pesky carp but also a handfull of nice bream. No doubles, but several upper 9's.

Can you verify or know of any big bream (12lb+) that have come from there, as i found the baliff's claims of both bream and carp a bit debatable to say the least.

It's also bloody expensive, we did an overnighter and he charged us for two seperate days...and a night !!! even though we arrived late afternoon and left early(ish) morning - a bit of a rip off really.
Especially as bulldozers were going all day splitting the lake into two.

Shame really it looked quite a nice place before he decided to create a match puddle.

A

Alistair Campbell

Gary,

Ive had a 10.9 and an 11.4 bream from the water. I can also say that a bream of 16.6 was caught around the same time.

As for the baliff's claims of bream and carp I wouldnt belive a word of it, when I joined the water they reckoned a 46 pound common was swimming around and had been caught but they were never able to provide any photos.

Hes never been the most generous of people, I still think he is more concerned about money than the fish or the anglers that fished there!!

A

Alistair Campbell

Not 16.6, I meant 12.6.

That would have got a few hearts racing!!!

P

Paul Williams

Jeez Alistar.....don't do that mate! it's nice to talk the truth though! i heard all those storys too, and also the stupid amount of 20's and even 30's that swam in there.......it's difficult sometimes to say what you mean without opening yourself(or your fav site!) up to being sued.......but don't some waters really take the piss when they take your hard earned cash off you!

A

Alistair Campbell

I hope I havent put the site in an akward position in regards to this thread?

But yes they do take the piss especially when they take 300 pounds off you for a night syndicate and then let day ticket anglers fish nights as well, but hey thats life.

Did you ever try for the bream paul?