which rig is the best?

nathan 8

Reaction score
My name is Nathan and have just started carp fishing.I have been carp fishing for nearly a year and a half and am really enjoying it.My P.B is 17lb mirror carp and have just starting to make my own rigs But i am not very good at it. Which rig do you think i should use and which set up shall i use.

please write back and give me some information which you recommend i should use.I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Nathan

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
What types of rig have you caught fish on already?

What type of water or waters do you fish - lakes or rivers?

What is the bottom like - muddy, weedy, gravel?

What sorts of bait do you use - boilies, pellets, worms, corn, etc...?

Do you use PVA bags or feeders or bait up by hand or spod?

The best advice is keep your rigs simple but all of those questions could have an impact on what is the best rig to be trying.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Nathan,

The best all round rig for Carp Fishing is the Simple Hair Rig.

Of course there are lots of Variations to the Simple Hair Rig but basically they are still hair rigged.

There are also some excellant articles on Fishing Magic regarding Different Rigs, word of WARNING. don't do what a lot of other Carp anglers do and go and over complicate methods that already work for you, there is no wonder rig, there are only rigs that work for that person at that time.

Locate your fish, understand the water you are fishing, put the right bait in the right spot at the right time and you have more chance than the guy with the supposed WONDER RIG fishing blindly in the hope that his new rig will save him blanking. /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Nathan go to a good tackle shop and buy a couple of ready tied ones and then keep practising your rig tying and you also know what they should look like

nathan 8

Reaction score
At the moment i am using a inline set up with a one and a half or two oz lead.

The lake i am fishing at is a muddy botom and a bit weedy.

The bait i am using on the lake i am fishing at the moment is boilies,halibut pellets,or two pieces of fake sweetcorn.

Thehair i am using is big and i use a size six or size eight.

Do you think any other baits would do the job or set ups?

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Sounds like you are doing everything right Nathan,carp fishing magazines would have you believe you need a new rig or bait every month ,don't fall for all the hype save your money ,and stick to basic rigs and good bait plus be quiet and keep an eye on what is going on around you and you wont go far wrong .Just enjoy yourself and dontturn Grumpy and secretive.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
If you are catching then stick with the same bait, maybe alternate between the two or three you have confidence in already.

Your rigs when you make them should match the size of the bait you're using so the hook size you use with the fake corn might be one or two sizes smaller than the hooks you use with your boilies for example.

The actual knotless knot used for hair-rigs is the same regardless of hook size or braid or mono and can be seen in detail here.

Your in-line lead set up sounds fine to me to be getting on with, you could try making up some small PVA bags filled withofferings like your hook-bait to increase the attraction in the water. Look here for PVA advice.

I use the PVA mesh and often just put the bag on the actual hook before casting out. In a still water it should all settle around the hookbait.

Keep everything as simple as you can, only introduce extra bits or different rigs if they solve a problem you are experiencing and use the rig-library for more tips and ideas.

R

Roto Fryer

"Do you think any other baits would do the job or set ups?"

experiment as there is no one right answer

DZ

Reaction score
To catch carp- you're going to need a few yards of lead-core for starters!/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gifJoke.

An 8 weight fly rod with floating line and a pheasant tail nymph should do the trick/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

OK being silly now..... the two things that changed carp fishing from desperately difficult to- well- sometimes rather too easy were/are:

The Hair Rig method of attaching bait

The bolt rig principle

..........and you dont need your lines so tight you can twang them hendrix style

Enjoy your fishing Nathan and dont get blinded by all the 'Sweeties' and 'Toys' in the tackle shop.

C

Cakey

why not ................you and I did /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

DZ

Reaction score
Aye??

Rude?

Naaaah Wiktor you've got hold of the wrong end Sir

OK Cakey - I may just have bought a few too many types of line, floats (particular obsession is pike floats for some obscure reason), far too many rods and reels, bolies (there's noroom in the freezer for human food); pop up boilies, glow in the dark boilies, homemade (but hugely expensive basemix) boilies, barrel shaped boilies, home done steamed boilies (AKA Steamies), glugs, spraysand thenthere'slures- lures lures lures- the lure of the lure gets a fisherman right in the scissor shaped wallet. Then there's the fly tackle and stuff for tying flies- feathers feathers every where. The better half was not impress with the rabbits tail she found in a draw the other day! So I cheered her up with a little monster crab dabbed behind the ears! Happy days/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

stephen webb

Reaction score
Dougal you should have put batteries in the rabbits tail, then she would have been happy LOL

But don't we all become tackle tarts, even though we know half the stuff in tackle shops isn't really designed to catch fish, but to catch us anglers and seperate us from our cash. I bet most of us have got far more fishing tackle than we really need. I remeber the days when I had one rod, landing net, a couple of rod rests which I tied to the cross bar of my bike, and all my terminal tackle fitted into my Grandads old gas mask case. Now I have a Grand Voyager that I take the back seats out of and fill with my gear LOL

Stephen