Tackle OCD

B

binka

Cue the confessional music...

Just wondered if anyone has any regular recurring gripes or hang up's with tackle, i'm increasingly seeing phrases such as "unerstated graphics" to describe stuff which is my personal gripe having gone to the lengths of spraying a landing net handle before now to remove the offending material... one of the reasons I like Korum gear is that the rubbery badges are so easy to remove.

At first I feared I had become a snob but surely I would be more likely to "flash the badge" if that were the case, now i'm happily convinced i'm just weird instead :)

I treated my long suffering back to a new chair today (the gifted Dragon carp has served me well, crippled my back and cut the circulation off in my legs but apart from that no problems) and after trying eight or nine in the shop I found the perfect one for me, a Nash Indulgence.

All excited I return home, pleased with my buy and then the full horror dawned on me as I stared at the back of the chair...

Beautifully sewn in NASH name!

Surely I couldn't have a problem with this, after all it was so nicely done?

Anyway, an hour later (could have been longer, the S was a bit tricky) and with stanley knife blade and pin back in their respective places I have a lovely plain backed Nash Indulgence and a pile of fluff on the floor.

Sorry Kev, it may have been beautifully sewn but a hang up's a hang up mate!

I shall now go down stairs, make some tea and await the verdict (remembering all the time to avoid touching the bannister rail at all costs, turning the light on and off the usual three times and ensuring me eyes are closed when I open the fridge door whilst standing on the left leg only).

Come on then, own up... what's yours?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I had a TEAM DAIWA (yes thats TEAM DAIWA in supersized letters) rod holdall, with the cool and groovy TEAM DAIWA all down the bank stick pocket.

After about three trips out the seam went on the bottom of the said pocket and all attempts at sticking socks down it or using gaffer tape failed and i would leave a rail of bank sticks behind me on the way to a swim. Tired of this, I ripped off the pocket and and now use the other external pocket instead. But when i reach for the bag all bleary eyed for a dawn session that screaming TEAM DAIWA is no longer there to greet me. Bliss.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I purchased a Preston soft shell because I liked the way it had the company logo embroidered all over it, FANTASTIC!!! ;)

ravey

Reaction score
I used black indelible pen to obscure the Daiwa logo on a hook wallet.
For fishing clothing, I tend to use Berghaus. It works great, and I hate to advertise fishing companies when I am on the bank - especially if they are not sponsoring me!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I think it might have been Shakespeare who started of the trend of splatterign their name large across everything because my tackle dealer at the time objected to a lot of it. He used to say then (1966+) "why don't they pay us to advertise instead of charging us for their products?"

I don't normaly have a problem with logos so long as they're fairly discreet and tastefully done. I do have one rod however, a Greys G-Tec (c£150), lovely rod, superb action, will handle pretty large carp or barbel, and best of all it's a 4 piece to stuff into the boot of the car. Its problem is its name 'Specimen Carp Bagger', but I have applied a little black insulation tape around the 'Bagger' bit and now I can live with it better. Which idiot came up with the term 'Bagging', URRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!

terry m

Reaction score
I have no issue with graphics, it is simple, if they are garish or 'in your face' I will not buy the product.

I will say though, the Indulgence chair is very good. Strange how I have never even noticed that there is a Nash logo on the back of it...... until now ...grrr!

Terry D

Reaction score
I'm very much in favour of 'discreet' graphics. I can't abide garish logos etc, reminds me of American car manufacturers which think big radiator grills are classy.
I spray painted my long Garbolino landing net handle matt black, as it looked ridiculous and naff being all silver with the name going almost the full length of the handle.

B

binka

I will say though, the Indulgence chair is very good. Strange how I have never even noticed that there is a Nash logo on the back of it...... until now ...grrr!

:D

I'm chuffed to bits with mine, I brought the Nomad Extra Light (and it is) which I thought would suit most styles of my fishing, I found that the back support was more upright but still comfortable which in turn is better for my back as well as being easier to get out of and you can get further back rake by just extending the front legs if you need it.

I also liked the larger mud feet and the shoulder strap that slips away inside it's own pocket and for a chair of its type it feels really substantial and comfortable.

Sorry about highlighting the name on the back... :):w

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Only the deaf ones with white sticks.
Jerry

It would be nice to have a Shimano 440a autobail and retro Shimano 300 though. I can see now that a respray in silver and other decals would be needed to make it more convincing. Ideally i reckon the rotor should have flames at the back of it like one of those 1970s hand painted wheel trims..or better still some decals like the sharks teeth behind the nose of a Kittyhawk.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I must confess that I regularly "tone down" or remove logo's completely. I dont mind understated stuff & the advertising thing bothers me not one whit.Anything too flashy or overt I simply cannot be having with & wouldn't even pick up let alone buy. I have a delightful little 11ft Shakespeare pellet waggler which no longer sports the cheesy "gold" reel fittings. Took me an age with wire wool but I got it off.

Bit of black tape or a Stanley knife usually does it for me. Never gone as far as respraying anything but its an interesting idea that I will save for later.

bennygesserit

Reaction score

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think this thing of mine with logos started years ago when I got in to serious hill walking. The fashion back then (the early 80s) was having nice goretex jackets with the name of the manufacturer embezzled on the chest and sleeve and the bigger the name (ie, Mountain Equipment or Berghaus) the more serious you (thought!) you looked!
I have no problem with logos on angling garments and personally have no hang ups about advertising a company and not getting paid for it. With me, having logos on clothing, luggage and such is just a simple fashion statement and I don't mind them at all.
If some of you think angling clothing is OTT with the Advertising then you should take a look at what the F1 supporters wear...Way over the top :)

---------- Post added at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

I must confess that I regularly "tone down" or remove logo's completely. I dont mind understated stuff & the advertising thing bothers me not one whit.Anything too flashy or overt I simply cannot be having with & wouldn't even pick up let alone buy. I have a delightful little 11ft Shakespeare pellet waggler which no longer sports the cheesy "gold" reel fittings. Took me an age with wire wool but I got it off.

Bit of black tape or a Stanley knife usually does it for me. Never gone as far as respraying anything but its an interesting idea that I will save for later.

I know folk on here rave about Normark Rods but that Horrible gold reel fitting really made them look cheap and nasty...Sorry chaps, but its just my OCD coming out, I hate cheap and nasty. I had better not mention that certain tackle company then, had I ;)