Boat fishing the trent

rutfish

Reaction score
Hi,any information regarding boat fishing the Trent for Pike ie rules,permits and which stretches.I know there are boats on the Trent at Trent Lock but unsure if boat fishing is allowed this low down the river or does it have to be on the tidal stretches.

B

binka

I think permit wise it basically boils down to the clubs that own the fishing rights from the bank will also claim the boat fishing rights, I know Notts Piscatorials are quite strict on this and make reference to it on their website http://www.nottinghampiscatorialsociety.co.uk/?page_id=1254 but I suppose enforcing it is another matter altogether.

I know someone who does boat fish the Trent for pike regularly, i've sent you a pm and phone number... he should be able to point you in the right direction.

Edited: Found the link

Last edited:

rutfish

Reaction score
Hi Binka,i have only just joined the forum and not sure how to enable private messaging can you point me in the right direction.

B

binka

I think it was already enabled as it allowed me to send the message and you should have received it by now?

rutfish

Reaction score
Hi Binka,sorted the private message thing and thanks for the info.

aebitim

Reaction score
Good question, Riparian rights cover the bank not the water, if there is a right of navigation and you have a rod licence . . .

B

binka

Good question, Riparian rights cover the bank not the water, if there is a right of navigation and you have a rod licence . . .

Quote from above website:

Please note that no angler is allowed to fish Nottingham Piscatorial waters unless they have permission to do so. Without permission you would be fishing unlawfully and be poaching. Unlawful fishing includes all manners of fishing – from the banks, wading in the water or from a boat (either static or moored). Poaching is a criminal offence. The legislation covering this information is contained in Schedule1, paragraph 2 (1) of the Theft Act 1968.

Not sure whether it's enforceable or not?

longshaw

Reaction score
Of course it's enforceable it's theft and all the Trent clubs in the surrounding area have very close working relationships both with the EA and Nottinghamshire Police.
Any boats or cars used to transport them risk being seized if you are caught.

B

binka

That's reassuring to know.

I thought it might end up being one of those multitude of grey areas that always end up getting kicked into the long grass.

Out of interest would I be right in thinking that the theft would relate to theft of the fishing right if any fish that were caught were returned, as would usually be the case?

the wise one

Reaction score
Quote from above website:

Please note that no angler is allowed to fish Nottingham Piscatorial waters unless they have permission to do so. Without permission you would be fishing unlawfully and be poaching. Unlawful fishing includes all manners of fishing – from the banks, wading in the water or from a boat (either static or moored). Poaching is a criminal offence. The legislation covering this information is contained in Schedule1, paragraph 2 (1) of the Theft Act 1968.

Not sure whether it's enforceable or not?

So from reading the rules posted above, I would be looking to drift their waters and either vertical jig or cast lures...... That way your not static or moored....

T.W.O

longshaw

Reaction score
That's reassuring to know.

I thought it might end up being one of those multitude of grey areas that always end up getting kicked into the long grass.

Out of interest would I be right in thinking that the theft would relate to theft of the fishing right if any fish that were caught were returned, as would usually be the case?

Yes you would be correct,the theft is indeed related to club membership or the cost of a day ticket if applicable rather than the fish caught.

rutfish

Reaction score
Am i right in saying that on tidal waters knowone owns the rights and it is open to all.

schwendy2

Reaction score
Correct.

If you can get a boat on the tidal you can fish unbothered. However there are no public slipways

On the non tidal expect to be harrased, photographed, videod etc etc spending the whole day looking over your shoulder.

Ive had many a day spoiled like this.......

sam vimes

Reaction score
Am i right in saying that on tidal waters knowone owns the rights and it is open to all.

Correct.

If you can get a boat on the tidal you can fish unbothered. However there are no public slipways

On the non tidal expect to be harrased, photographed, videod etc etc spending the whole day looking over your shoulder.

Ive had many a day spoiled like this.......

Be wary, there is tidal water and tidal water. Just because there is a tidal influence all the way up to Collingham, does not make it tidal water where no one can own the fishing rights. Some boat anglers want to think that a boat makes it a free for all right up to Collingham. A trip to court might make them think otherwise. The snag is that they need to be caught. Realistically, this is only going to happen if the EA are out in their boats. If the EA do catch them, are they going to be bothered about a club ticket if they have a rod licence?

schwendy2

Reaction score
Tidal IS tidal all the way to collingham.

Collingham aa might like to think they can stop boat anglers, but they cant.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Be wary, there is tidal water and tidal water. Just because there is a tidal influence all the way up to Collingham, does not make it tidal water where no one can own the fishing rights. Some boat anglers want to think that a boat makes it a free for all right up to Collingham. A trip to court might make them think otherwise. The snag is that they need to be caught. Realistically, this is only going to happen if the EA are out in their boats. If the EA do catch them, are they going to be bothered about a club ticket if they have a rod licence?
A well known boat angler who fishes the Tidal with the initials NF, was found by the balliff, tied to the bank, With around 4 rods out over the side or maybe more he will know. Bailliff said thats 4 plus day tickets, NF said you cant charge me I am in a Boat, bailliff said yes but you are fishing my stretch whilst tied to my bank and if you dont remove yourself I will report you to the EA and I hope you have your license for the ridiculous amount of rods you are using. NF promptly dissappeared.
Says a lot about Boat anglers, most promptly disregard all signs and rules, because they have a boat. I have seen them at cromwell weir, Ignoring signs, having rods dragged overboard because the have 3,4, 5 plus rods out it beggars belief, not wearing lifejackets, immersion suits etc, some are total idiots, please get the right kit before you go in your little boats as the river takes no prisoners.
I have even been stick floating and down they come within ten metres of me throwing their lures my way.... they are a right pain in the arse...
the law need changing on the rights on Tidal rivers and the EA should get there act together and not just come out in their RIB a handful of times a year and really police this area.

I could go on..

longshaw

Reaction score
Johnny,
We're hearing reports that the EA have been out in boats and coming aground to check licences so hopefully they will catch the freeloaders.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Johnny,
We're hearing reports that the EA have been out in boats and coming aground to check licences so hopefully they will catch the freeloaders.

Freeloaders absolutely bang on. I saw 3 EA officers around a month ago on the Tidal, went past me twice and all I got was a wave...

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
the law need changing on the rights on Tidal rivers and the EA should get there act together and not just come out in their RIB a handful of times a year and really police this area.

I could go on..

I,m given to understand that the laws of rights on tidal rivers are enshrined in the Magna Carta signed at Runnymede by king John.
The issue of boaters rights was raised several times some few years ago in the (now defunct?) Angling Star when a regular user of the tidal river took NF to task over the issue of his usage.
Boats are supposed to have the right of navigation up to the limits of the tidal reach but have no rights to moor or anchor, to do so is trespass and any fishing done in this manner can be construed as illegal, the river bed belongs to the riperian owner hence the ruling.
NF wouldnt be swayed by the other party and challenged the other by giving him a time and place when he would be on the river fishing anchored up (I think it was just upstream of the bridge at Gainsboro if I remember correctly)so if anyone cared to challenge him they were at liberty to do so.
I dont know the outcome.
I do have some small sympathy for users of small fishing craft on the tidal trent but they can often be their own worst enemy with some very selfish actions that can upset other anglers,---to close---- one other very well known angler took his boat onto one stretch of the river where he had no right of access and launched it between two anglers that were drawn next to each other in a match.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

The laws on tidal rivers can be read in Magna Carta.
I understand that boats can go upstream to the tidal limits but the river bank/ bed belongs to the riperian owner so anchoring or mooring is seen as trespass,