Is it fly fishing?

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
I recall seeing on the TV a chap fishing a Scandinavian river using the local technique of fishing with wet flies but on coarse fishing tackle - the exact set-up being a lead/heavy shot on the bottom of the line with a dropper with fly approx. 6'' above this.

My question is would this technique be regarded as fly-fishing if used on aUK river?

The Monk

Reaction score
if hes using flys its fly fishing, just not thre type of fly fishing we use in the UK

The Monk

Reaction score
if it was a bee it would be bee fishing, and you could tell everyone you had bee (n)fishing, if however yoiu hook a large fly, it could be difficult to cast out if it wanted to fly backwards, this is why we use artifical flies, so they dont flyu backwards when you are trying to cast them forward you see/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Aah! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Similar thing happened to me once, when I used a slug for bait. I cast out and waited for a bite but the line kept going slack. Did my head in for a while. Then it struck me. The little sod was crawling back in. Bas***d!

Nathan

Reaction score
Based on the current theme of the thread,is using an EE for bait classed as pole fishing?

C

Colin North, the one and only

<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>if it was a bee it would be bee fishing, and you could tell everyone you had bee (n)fishing, if however yoiu hook a large fly, it could be difficult to cast out if it wanted to fly backwards, this is why we use artifical flies, so they dont flyu backwards when you are trying to cast them forward you see/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Actually Monk, an old method of catching fish on the fly is called "Dapping" and involves using live Daddy long legs/Crane flies, Mayflies, Grasshoppers or other terrestials that get blown onto the water. Modern dappers actually superglue the insects to a bare hook. Of course, dapping can also be done using artificial flies.<blockquote class=quoteheader>Jonathan Whitham wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I recall seeing on the TV a chap fishing a Scandinavian river using the local technique of fishing with wet flies but on coarse fishing tackle - the exact set-up being a lead/heavy shot on the bottom of the line with a dropper with fly approx. 6'' above this.

My question is would this technique be regarded as fly-fishing if used on aUK river?</blockquote>

I rather think that if you tried this on any UK maintained trout waters, you may get turfed off fairly quickly. However, there are some waters where you can use a team of flies on coarse fishing tackle using a bubble float. It can be very effective, as you can cast it much further than most fly rods/anglers will cast.

Although descrided as fly fishing, many of the "flies" are, in fact, not flies at all, but are intended to imitate all manner of water borne creatures and even terrestials. Example, the original Black Lure was intended to imitate a Leech. Many "lures" imitate small fish, tadpoles and suchlike, all of which will at sometime supplement a fishes diet.

Keith M

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>If I were to set up a link ledger and hook an actual fly (or a bee or something) then is it fly fishing?</blockquote>
And if you caught lots of fish on a bee would anyone who wanted to emulate your good catch be WanaBees?

The Monk

Reaction score
"Actually Monk, an old method of catching fish on the fly is called "Dapping" and involves using live Daddy long legs/Crane flies, Mayflies, Grasshoppers or other terrestials that get blown onto the water. Modern dappers actually superglue the insects to a bare hook. Of course, dapping can also be done using artificial flies."

yes we used to dap on the Ribble for chub, and we`ve done a bit for the old carp over the years too, an excellent method giving the impression of little creepy crawleys falling from trees, I still have quite a few dapping bugs, not done any for years though, you dont however normally use leads

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

True fly fishing is the art of using an imitation or suggestion of the insect the trout are eating by using fur, feathers, silks and other such materials.

The truth of the matter is that it is possible to achieve levels of skill in fly fishing where you will catch more and bigger trout that other anglers using natural baits.

C

I thought the word "bare" would spark a response from you Monk./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
hahahahahahaha, I`m glad i`m not a fish mate/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, I`d get caught everytime

Jon Warrener

Reaction score
I think you're thinking of the 'Rebel Crickhopper' Paul.

LM Bass in the States go mad for them /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifI bought some in Florida and got bass on them over there, just twitched across the surface.

I've tried 'em for chub back home but unfortunately they sunk under the weight of my wire trace - will try and make some UL traces this summer and have another go.

Jon Warrener

Reaction score
Yep I didn't get the poppers though I got the std version; these. Even though I was fishing mine in the same way you would fish a popper.

Cor they're a tad more expensive here than over there.

M

MarkTheSpark

I rather think that if you tried this on any UK maintained trout waters, you may get turfed off fairly quickly

Actually, I'm not sure you would, Colin. The prescriptive part of the rules stipulates artificial flies but on most waters, not the rod and line. In fact, I've been at various Yorkshire fly-only waters and had blokes hurling bubble floats to the horizon (to impressive effect, actually_ so why not a leger?

What rule would you be chucked off for breaking?

C

<blockquote class=quoteheader>MarkTheSpark wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I rather think that if you tried this on any UK maintained trout waters, you may get turfed off fairly quickly

Actually, I'm not sure you would, Colin. The prescriptive part of the rules stipulates artificial flies but on most waters, not the rod and line. In fact, I've been at various Yorkshire fly-only waters and had blokes hurling bubble floats to the horizon (to impressive effect, actually_ so why not a leger?

What rule would you be chucked off for breaking? </blockquote>

I was thinking more about the small "Put & Take" fisheries dotted around the Country rather than the large expanses of water. For example, I feel certain that the owner of Spring Hill Fishery and the owner of Yew Tree Trout Fishery would not allow any method other than use of conventional fly gear.

This is only my view am I am not referring to any hard and fast "rule"