Now that Winter is upon us

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Now that Winter is upon us, it is worth remembering a few important things, Fishing should be a way of life, it shouldn't cost you your life.

Stay safe when out and about, especially more so now that the Temperatures are dropping and the Heavy rains are flooding Rivers and other areas. Check the Weather Forecasts regularly on the build up to your fishing outing.

Let someone know where you are going, try not to go on your own if you can, take warm waterproof clothing with you, and a fully charged mobile phone.

Don't take unnecessary risks, it really isn't worth injuring yourself or worse.

I could list a lot more, but, i would like others to contribute, perhaps with more ideas, or even short stories, they've experienced, just to help other people.

Stay Safe out there folks, it's a Jungle at times. :D

chav professor

Reaction score
Now Steph - you weren't employed in the role of a health and safety officer now, were you?

Lots of layers, Barbour jacket and a pair of shorts!!!! No problem....

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I simply do not go out when the weather is severe. Angling is just a hobby and it is not worth risking your life for.
A few years ago I got a really nasty chest infection and I don't want that again :(

barbelboi

Reaction score
I always keep a change of clothing in a bag in the car, whatever the time of year, just in case.
Jerry

chav professor

Reaction score
I simply do not go out when the weather is severe. Angling is just a hobby and it is not worth risking your life for.
A few years ago I got a really nasty chest infection and I don't want that again :(

I have the diary entry for when I was angling in the big freeze we had last year.... just recovering from a cold/flu thing.... then went onto develop a severe chest infection... my Mrs was not impressed.

My philosophy was might as well be ill near a river instead of bed...... it was a disaster - BUT - i did catch some superb chub in the arctic conditions - the photos were fantastic.

No sorry - throat infection!!! reason for editing? Being so dramatic.lol

B

Berty

Winter is to me the most rewarding of fishing, we just have to plan well.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have the diary entry for when I was angling in the big freeze we had last year.... just recovering from a cold/flu thing.... then went onto develop a severe chest infection... my Mrs was not impressed.

My philosophy was might as well be ill near a river instead of bed...... it was a disaster - BUT - i did catch some superb chub in the arctic conditions - the photos were fantastic.

No sorry - throat infection!!! reason for editing? Being so dramatic.lol

It was Pleurisy that I suffered with Christian, its just that I had to look up on how to spell it, I'm no English teacher ;)

Bluenose

Reaction score
The president of PAC was on tightlines the other week, he had a really unobtrusive life vest which I thought looked spot on for river fishing especially in floods/winter, not sure what make it was though?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The president of PAC was on tightlines the other week, he had a really unobtrusive life vest which I thought looked spot on for river fishing especially in floods/winter, not sure what make it was though?

I have an hardy vest that is hardly noticeable when wearing. It was expensive but you can get similar ones to the hardy for less (I think they are all made by the same company anyway!) take a look on sportfish or sportsmail websites.

B

Berty

They are superb bits of kit, i first had one many years ago......but be careful in real heavy down pours, the automatic type can inflate!........mine did when i left it exposed in my bait boat overnight.

But they are the only type i would consider.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Winter and Summer I allways have a complete spare set of clothing in the car, along with wind up torch,charger for phone, first aid kit, kettle water etc.

I do though tend to be away for a few days at a time so there's the sleeping bags/cover, and plenty of tinned and dried food to hand as well. Somebody, either wife or mate, knows where I am and what time/day to expect me back.

One thing I have seen over the years though is anglers with gear spread all around them. Ideal for tripping over especially dusk/night. Keep everything either in your bag or well behind your fishing position to eliminate accidents.

sam vimes

Reaction score

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
A young lad who lives next door to some Friends of ours has died today whilst fishing, he fell in the water and drowned, he was 16 years old .......... R.I.P Dave Moss

Such a sad sad loss.

Stay Safe out there.