Flavouring Oils

Chris Elwis999

Reaction score
Does anyone know any recipes for making flavoured oils to add to groundbaits or sticks, what are the best oils to use to take on flavours such as chilli or garlic, which oils are the ones to avoid because they have a distinctive flavour of their own, and does anyone have recipes they have used to make their own that they would be willing to share. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Andyw

Reaction score
I wondered this to!!

I have a bit of sunflower oil in the garage with a generous helping of chilli flakes in it... Been there about 2 months and to be honest I'd forgotten it till I read your post... I'll have a check later and see whats "grown" in it!!! /forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Supermarkets sell chilli oil,looks like they have just put chillies in it and maybe heated it with the chillies in.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I would use any reasonable quality oil which doesn't have a particularly strong flavour of its own, like olive oil, ground-nut oil, etc...

To flavour it decide how strong the thing you're flavouring it with is, for example chillis are more potent than say cucumber,then add quantities of them appropriately and leave it for a couple of months.

It takes 8 weeks to pickle onions so I've based my timescale on that, of course the longer it's left the stronger the flavour will get.

When adding it to baits I'd be quite sparing with it, I wouldn't want a greasy mix of groundbait. I think 'strong flavour - use less' is better than 'weak flavour - use more'.

Deanos

Reaction score
Sesame oil (used in Chinese cookery) is good for flavouring corn, and I dare say stick mixes.

Walnut oil and peanut oil are all pretty cheap, then there is hemp oil, the great thing is that you dont have todo anything but buy the bottle and go for it!

Chris Elwis999

Reaction score
Thanks for the links Ian, I found these really useful, has anyone any idea's of any extra ingredients to add to your oil, for instance if I made up some chilli oil, do you think you could add some powdered betaine or an amino powder to boost its effectiveness or do you think it would ruin it.

Reaction score
If you want to flavour, say sunflower oil, with chille and/or garlic then gentle heat the oil in a pan and throw in teh stuff and let it sizzle for a few seconds. Take it off the heat, let it cool the strain it. OIL. CHILLE. JOB DONE.

John Southgate

Reaction score
most flavored oils for cooking etc are made by infusing, i.e putting stuff in oil, leaving for a long time (weeks/months) and draining, as opposed to heating the oil but i guess if heating works go for it. oils with least natural flavour are ground nut, sunflower or veg. olive oil has quite a strong natural flavour. as it warms up this year i reckon i'm going to try some out...

B

Bully

"which doesn't have a particularly strong flavour of its own, like olive oil, ground-nut oil,"

Oilive oil is one of the most naturally flavoured oils going, even normal olive oil.

The most least flavoured is a veggie oil or sunflower oil, as John says.

Why make an oil anyway? Just whizz up the ingredient (chillis, garlic etc) with a very little oil to make a paste and just add that in smaller quantities. I suspect selling in flavoured oil format is just an easy way to do it in order to overcome the stuff going off, as oil lasts for ages......

C

Cakey

put your flavours into condensed milk...........................yummy yummy