Front drag V rear drag!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi,
just wondered how many of you prefer one drag system over the other when lure fishing?
I have always liked front drag reels for spinning as I like the idea of the more precise control they offer over the rear drag models.
Which do you prefer?

B

binka

I don't really do much spinning/lure fishing but do quite a lot of wobbling deadbaits and prefer the front drag for this.

To be fair the only rear drag reels i've ever owned were some years ago now but I never really took to them, the Daiwa TDX 2508 i'm using now for this and much of my barbel fishing really does have a sweet front drag that can keep up with practically everything.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't really do much spinning/lure fishing but do quite a lot of wobbling deadbaits and prefer the front drag for this.

To be fair the only rear drag reels i've ever owned were some years ago now but I never really took to them, the Daiwa TDX 2508 i'm using now for this and much of my barbel fishing really does have a sweet front drag that can keep up with practically everything.

I use Stradic and Technium front drags for my spinning but I use TDR (Both sizes) for float and feeder and I really love em, they have such a smooth and precise clutch, just wonerfull!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have both front and rear drag reels and much prefer rear drag. Imo rear drag is much more convenient and every bit as smooth as a front drag. I don't understand why people go on about front drag reels being smoother...it's nonsense ...imo :).
I do have a couple of front drag reels of high order and they are very good reels but deffo no better/smoother than my rear drags and much more alkward to adjust.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have both front and rear drag reels and much prefer rear drag. Imo rear drag is much more convenient and every bit as smooth as a front drag. I don't understand why people go on about front drag reels being smoother...it's nonsense ...imo :).
I do have a couple of front drag reels of high order and they are very good reels but deffo no better/smoother than my rear drags and much more alkward to adjust.

Pretty much the same opinion and using both, good rear drag reels today are, err.................good.
Jerry

philblakey

Reaction score
I use a multiplier 99% of the time, when i do use a F/S outfit i use a front drag reel.

Phil.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Multiplier, with the drag set very tight.

I love my ABU Ambassador reels for my Jerk bait fishing but for normal spinning/plug fishing I like the convenience of a fixed spool.

---------- Post added at 08:54 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

Front drag allways seem that little bit more precise to me tigger...might just be me :)

---------- Post added at 08:57 ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 ----------

Since virtually all my lure fishing is done with lures in the 1oz to 4oz weight range, it's the multiplier for me too.

You will not catch any bigger fish using bigger lures Derek :D :D :D

redfin123

Reaction score
all my pike reels are front drag, but I use multipliers for big lures. as for rear drag reels its down to your own personal choice.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
On my current favourite venue you'll catch very little on small lures. Throw out a big heavy soft plastic and the big pike will have them but little spoons and crankbaits produce nothing. It's not a trout water by the way, I do very little trout water piking.

Windy

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a lure fishing specific question or more general...

My approach, whatever form of fishing or reel I am using, is to set the drag appropriately to "give" before breaking the terminal end tackle, whether a light weight hook link or a spinning trace or whatever.

Once that is set I can then add drag or lock up if needed by using what Ron the fabled Hat referred to in a phrase I cannot better, an educated thumb.

I don't ever want to be fiddling about with either front or rear or side drag dial, wheel or other such while in the heat of playing a fish. Far too easy to overtighten or overloosen or whatever, the thumb is quicker, simpler and much more sensitive....