Certain tackle shops

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Following on from the "buying tackle because of the name" thread.

Does anyone else suffer from the inability to come out of certain tackle shops with just the stuff they went in for ? The majority of shops I can do it but in others the temptation becomes too much.

A certain shop,Allans Tackle Worcester, is one such place that springs to mind. It's a proper old fashioned shop with things tucked away in every crevice and corner, non pressuring staff, and everything you thought you didn't need.
So how come if I nip in for a couple of pints of maggots, or worse just acompany a friend, I cannot leave without another new bag/rucksack, another chair/rod whatever. No one forces me to buy anything, except the inner me saying "God that's a good price", "that's just what i've been looking for" or "that'll come in handy".

I just thank the Lord I live nearly a 100 miles away otherwise it'd be a choice between another rucksack or the wife and kids.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Following on from the "buying tackle because of the name" thread.

Does anyone else suffer from the inability to come out of certain tackle shops with just the stuff they went in for ? The majority of shops I can do it but in others the temptation becomes too much.

A certain shop,Allans Tackle Worcester, is one such place that springs to mind. It's a proper old fashioned shop with things tucked away in every crevice and corner, non pressuring staff, and everything you thought you didn't need.
So how come if I nip in for a couple of pints of maggots, or worse just acompany a friend, I cannot leave without another new bag/rucksack, another chair/rod whatever. No one forces me to buy anything, except the inner me saying "God that's a good price", "that's just what i've been looking for" or "that'll come in handy".

I just thank the Lord I live nearly a 100 miles away otherwise it'd be a choice between another rucksack or the wife and kids.

Its the reason I have so many floats, feeders, lures, hooks and so on. I cant just walk into Billy Clarkes for a bag of pellets without coming out with a new rod or reel :)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
aaaah Billy Clarkes i've heard all about that place :)

From what i've been told it's another gem of a place, with a decent owner.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, I know that feeling only too well.

I use Reid's Tackle in Downton and whenever I stroll in the owner tells his wife to "get the holiday brochures out" LOL

Anyway, you never know when you'll need that [insert last item purchased] do you?

B

Berty

I could never get out of Nige Williams place when he had a shop........or Fosters if Rich is about, or Terry Eustace (Erics!) in Brum .......... come to think of it i still find alladins caves everywhere!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Went to my local today to buy a new stonfo connector for my spare topkit no3 elastic. £1:50 ...
2 Preston chianti floats, a new Levapiombo ( lost in the Dorchester disaster but a vital tool) later, and my bill was well into double figures...

B

binka

I think there should be warnings on the doors!

I'm a sucker for it and the amount of times i've left a shop with nothing more than a crisp size packet of bits 'n bobs that has cost over forty quid is unreal.

When my ex moved in with me I had a well worked plan of smuggling larger items into the shed whilst she was at work but she would often comment on how new something looked if ever she saw me loading the car for a session, with that "I know what you're up to" look about her.

She's now an ex and I now have way too much tackle :)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
aaaah Billy Clarkes i've heard all about that place :)

From what i've been told it's another gem of a place, with a decent owner.

If you ever get to Sheffield you should pay a visit (easy to find from the station) It really is a fantastic shop! You will not believe how much gear is on display in this tiny shop and all clean and tidy and in order, its like a Tardis! Billy IS one of the nicest people you could ever meet (is staff are nice chaps too!) you could browse in the place all day and no one will hound you or put you under pressure...Best tackle shop in the land bar none!

B

binka

If you ever get to Sheffield you should pay a visit (easy to find from the station) It really is a fantastic shop! You will not believe how much gear is on display in this tiny shop and all clean and tidy and in order, its like a Tardis! Billy IS one of the nicest people you could ever meet (is staff are nice chaps too!) you could browse in the place all day and no one will hound you or put you under pressure...Best tackle shop in the land bar none!

I'm in Sheffield sometime over the next couple of weeks and fancy having a look, is there parking near by?

Please tell me no, and that all the good comments are a cruel hoax... and remind me of the fact that I don't actually need anything and that i'm strapped in the run up to Christmas ;)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm in Sheffield sometime over the next couple of weeks and fancy having a look, is there parking near by?

Please tell me no, and that all the good comments are a cruel hoax... and remind me of the fact that I don't actually need anything and that i'm strapped in the run up to Christmas ;)

You have a PM!

nicepix

Reaction score

Don't tell them I told you but Decathalon have (or had last year) a free car park right in the City centre near the railway station and Billy Clark's. ;)

You lot don't know how lucky you are. Last time I went into a tackle shop over here in France I left them something. :D

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have the opposite feeling with one of my local tackle shops. I have gone in there with the intention of purchasing something and then walked out because the staff are either; rude, totally unknowledgeable or the price is far higher than they advertised. There are other shops in my area but this one is on route. I won't go in there on principle anymore. Their loss, tackle barrow, £200 on cold weather clothing, top of the range float rod, top or the range quiver, Okuma Sheffield pin and loads of other bits and bobs all bought this year from elsewhere. Ha, ha, ha, Danson Angling.

I have had exceptionally good service from; Hemmings at Penge and the tackle shop at Bury Hill fishery, where the staff in both places were excellent.

terry m

Reaction score
Whilst travelling for work I sometimes pop into either The Tackle Box @ Dartford, Fosters @ birmingahm and Yateley Angling Centre. None of these establishments are local, but they have all had thier coffers boosted by my purchases!!

mick b

Reaction score
Poindestre's in Southampton.
Saddest day ever when he moved to the industrial estate and allowed his staff to turn it into a front for an online business.

I've been three times since the move and been hassled out twice by the 'staff' because they wanted to close the place and go home (the owner wasn't there):eek:mg: and the last time they were advertising an item but didn't have it in stock!!!
No I will not be returning!

Best local shop is without doubt Paul's place in Fareham, ROVERS TACKLE.
All the staff know what there talking about, no hassle or clock watchers, and if you go when the kettles on you get a cuppa for free.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Saddest day ever when he moved to the industrial estate and allowed his staff to turn it into a front for an online business.

I've been three times since the move and been hassled out twice by the 'staff' because they wanted to close the place and go home (the owner wasn't there):eek:mg: and the last time they were advertising an item but didn't have it in stock!!!

Best local shop is without doubt Paul's place in Fareham, ROVERS TACKLE.
All the staff know what there talking about, no hassle or clock watchers, and if you go when the kettles on you get a cuppa for free.

There seems to be a thing with tackle shops that advertise stock that they haven't got and I think the reason they do it because they know anglers want the stuff quick and if the shop does not have in stock they loose the sale because the anglers go on to other websites that have got the item in stock!

terry m

Reaction score

Completely agree. I went in there today for only the second time since the move. Totally underwhelmed by the experience, a perfect template on how to stuff up a good shop!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Completely agree. I went in there today for only the second time since the move. Totally underwhelmed by the experience, a perfect template on how to stuff up a good shop!

Bennett's of Sheffield went the same way when the ''gaffer'' retired, his son and is associates got a little bit greedy and lost the plot! The shop finally closed down after the great flood but the company was going down the drain long before that and would have closed down anyway!

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Whilst travelling for work I sometimes pop into either The Tackle Box @ Dartford, Fosters @ birmingahm and Yateley Angling Centre. None of these establishments are local, but they have all had thier coffers boosted by my purchases!!

Terry, I have had a few bits from Fosters over the last few months and I am well imprest with the service, they even ring me if they have run out of the item I ordered to advise me on a delivery date! That's how to run a business AND keep your customers!

mick b

Reaction score
Davis tackle in ChCh.
The staff really know their stuff and the owner Nigel is a true gentleman.
I brought a high-end rod and even after a replacement bottom section it still would hold my Mill Tackle c'pin securely.
They not only took it back (after more than a year) but Nigel gave me the full purchase price + 15% refund, needless to say I brought my next rod from him, a Hardy, and haven't had a single sniff of a problem since!
:thumbs:

Reaction score

Alan's in Worcester is one of the best I have ever visited... a proper Aladdin's Cave

Baileys in Warwick would be a close second.

Proper old school tackle shops offering excellent local fishing knowledge and friendly advice :)

flightliner

Reaction score
I agree--- Sheffield, its Billy Clark, nice guy, friendly staff and a service that is excellant.
My problem with Billy however is that I live on the wrong side of town and can only get over that way on the odd occasion which I do whenever possible.
I can however thoroughly reccommend Greg Forrester of Angling Supplies in Worksop Notts.
Another dealer who like Billy will go out of his way to ensure his customers get full satisfaction-- he's just moved to bigger premises some four doors away from his original shop and his stock seems to have mushroomed accordingly.