how much does the weather affect your fishing

seksee

Reaction score
For me - I can huddle up under my brolly to beat the rain... I can throw on a few extra layers to beat the cold (about 8 degrees is my limit)... But the wind is a session killer for me! Broken brollies, tangled lines and the inability to cast any light tackle further than 6ft generally make it a very short session!

barbelboi

Reaction score
In adverse conditions - As Fred J used to say 'I'll be pleased when I'm too old to do this' or something similar:D.

maceo

Reaction score
Completely and totally to be honest.

Nothing below 5C, wet or windy over about 15mph for me!

I look at the five day forecast and see if there are any days predicted that meet all of the criteria, then fit fishing in around it.

I'll make a special exception for the first day of the season, but that's it.

I fit around the weather rather than fixing a day and suffering whatever's thrown at me!

B

binka

The weather used to decide things quite a lot for me but this year i've realised how grumpy I get if I don't go fishing and just end moping round the house :(

Been out in everything lately, I don't mind the wind or the rain but both together (like this morning!) might still make me think twice... and I havn't night fished since the end of September.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been on some of the highest places in great Britain in some of the most atrocious weather that mother nature can through at you, so you think I would be able to withstand that sort of weather when fishing...Wrong! When walking you are moving and if wearing the right gear, keeping warm and dry. When fishing you are static and when you are static you are not generating heat and so you start to chill, especially if you are wearing such things as cotton that does not wick the sweat from your body. Then there is wind chill, this is the big killer! If you do not wear garments that are not wind proof you will get cold pretty quickly, never mind the rain, its the wind that's the bad boy here!
When will folk learn? Cotton is one of the worse thing you could wear outdoors in bad weather AVOID!
I am not preaching to you all, but if you want to stay safe on the banks in winter (or summer!) then invest in some proper windproof/waterproof clothing! You do not have to by top of the range Goretex, you can get decent gear from your local Army stores cheaply these days. Try Silvermans army surplus on line, they have loads of gear to suit anglers...BUT, if you want gear that really works then invest in the Buffalo clothing system, still made in Sheffield for thirty years and trusted by special forces, mountain rescue and emergency services for many years! Take a look at their website and read the reviews, best bit of kit I have ever owned!

aebitim

Reaction score
In adverse conditions - As Fred J used to say 'I'll be pleased when I'm too old to do this' or something similar:D.

Fred J was a great influence on my fishing, quotes such as I will be glad when I have had enough of this and the nice thing about a float is its disapearance made a god like figure seem human.
As for fishing in bad weather, when I have to fish I have to fish and those freezing flooded and windy sessions make catching even a small fish that much more rewarding.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fred J was a great influence on my fishing, quotes such as I will be glad when I have had enough of this and the nice thing about a float is its disapearance made a god like figure seem human.
As for fishing in bad weather, when I have to fish I have to fish and those freezing flooded and windy sessions make catching even a small fish that much more rewarding.

I loved to watch FJ on Central s ''Heart of the country'' great guy. Wonder what ever happened to Terry Thomas of Angling today fame?