Thermal Boots

S

steve2012

Need some thermal boots, but need to be Wellingtons to march across flooded fields

What do you boys use for the warmest winter feet as i'm struggling?

terry m

Reaction score
There is nothing better than the Skeetex lined wellies, try them, you will not regret it.

Reasonably priced about £45, new linings are also available seperately.

The bad one

Reaction score
If you want welly type go for a pair of Muckboots. Tay are the warmest they do down to -40C. No cold feet anymore and they are the most comfortable wellies I've ever worn. You can walk for miles in them and unlike the fishing thermals the soles don't crack.
Of course such products come at a price around £70, but they'll last twice as long as any fishing thermals so they work out cheaper over the long run.

chav professor

Reaction score
I've been told 'Baffins' come highly recommended. They were designed for ice fishing. The only complaint I have heard is that in our mild winters - your feet can get too hot. Perhaps a great boot and good investment if you suffer from cold feet or circulatory issues. Baffin Men's Titan Pull On Boot: Amazon.co.uk: Shoes & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FIe%2BJlkjL.@@AMEPARAM@@41FIe%2BJlkjL
Me? I'm a tough b$stad...... Shorts, woolly socks and a pair of standard Aigle's. A little tip... if you want to warm your hands... Pick up a handful of snow and squeeze it like mad for a few minutes - then dry them. Your fingers will start glowing like little hot chipolatas. You can do the same thing with your feet.

Last edited:

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I've been told 'Baffins' come highly recommended. They were designed for ice fishing. The only complaint I have heard is that in our mild winters - your feet can get too hot. Perhaps a great boot and good investment if you suffer from cold feet or circulatory issues. Baffin Men's Titan Pull On Boot: Amazon.co.uk: Shoes & Accessories
Me? I'm a tough b$stad...... Shorts, woolly socks and a pair of standard Aigle's. A little tip... if you want to warm your hands... Pick up a handful of snow and squeeze it like mad for a few minutes - then dry them. Your fingers will start glowing like little hot chipolatas. You can do the same thing with your feet.

Just ordered some. I have a pair of skeetex, and although they keep your feet warm, they are very difficult to walk in, especially up hills and on muddy ground.

barbelboi

Reaction score
If there's not a lot of walking involved Skee-Tex have been my first choice for many years. If walking a lot I still use an old pair of John Wilson wellies - remember them? (the ones somewhere between a welly and a thigh wader c1995) with a neoprene sock - as comfortable as my Hunters for walking in.
Jerry

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like the muck boots for fishing, I also own a pair of Aigle Neoprene lined wellies that cost a dam fortune, they have a superb vibram walking sole, much better than the Hunter soles that are absolutely rubbish! Aigle boots are ok for shooting as you are on the move most of the time but to say how much I paid for them they still let the cold strike up in to your feet when sat fishing!

waveney_chubber

Reaction score
There is nothing better than the Skeetex lined wellies, try them, you will not regret it.

You will regret it when you have to fork out for replacement liners each year! Uncomfortable to walk anything but short distances in and, if you'll pardon the pun, "heavy to boot".
Get a pair of Sundridge Hotfoots. Much lighter and just as good as the Skeetex + cheaper and very comfortable to walk in

barbelboi

Reaction score
You will regret it when you have to fork out for replacement liners each year! Uncomfortable to walk anything but short distances in and, if you'll pardon the pun, "heavy to boot".
Get a pair of Sundridge Hotfoots. Much lighter and just as good as the Skeetex + cheaper and very comfortable to walk in

I've had two liners in ten years, not made for walking (I use others) but for keeping your feet very warm when static.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
I like the muck boots for fishing, I also own a pair of Aigle Neoprene lined wellies that cost a dam fortune, they have a superb vibram walking sole, much better than the Hunter soles that are absolutely rubbish! Aigle boots are ok for shooting as you are on the move most of the time but to say how much I paid for them they still let the cold strike up in to your feet when sat fishing!

Hunter do plenty of different models with more than just one type of sole.
The top line Hunter rubber boot also happens to use a Vibram sole.

BarryC

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of these and although we hav'nt had any realy cold weather yet I have no doubt they will be great.
I suffer badly from cold feet and I know I would have had trouble but so far this year hav'nt even needed thermal socks.
They are ultra light too.
rovex arctic thermal light weight boot ALL SIZES | eBay
They have a great reputation localy.

terry m

Reaction score

Only one replacementliner in six or seven years. Je ne regret rien!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hunter do plenty of different models with more than just one type of sole.
The top line Hunter rubber boot also happens to use a Vibram sole.

Yeh but Sam have you seen the price? I thought £100 was. Lot to pay for a pair of wellies, but £200....bloody hell!!

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I've been told 'Baffins' come highly recommended. They were designed for ice fishing. The only complaint I have heard is that in our mild winters - your feet can get too hot. Perhaps a great boot and good investment if you suffer from cold feet or circulatory issues. Baffin Men's Titan Pull On Boot: Amazon.co.uk: Shoes & Accessories

Bought these, they have arrived and are the business - best I have ever worn.

James Hathaway

Reaction score
Doesnt matter what boot you use, none will keep your feet warm when sitting around for long periods of time. Skeetex are about the best for this purpose but not much better than any of the others and they are not the best fro muddy sloping banks. I have baffins and they are nice to walk in - muck boots are more confortable and lighter for long hikes - but i still get cold feet when static fishing.

mick b

Reaction score
Muckboots Tay simply the best warm weather boots out there.
Used by the Brit Antarctic Survey, ideal for Sept thro till March, just one pair of socks required and you can walk miles and be assured of not slipping all over the place and warm and comfortable non-sweat feet.
Shop around and you'll find them for around £65-70.
I've had mine for four years and they are as good as new save for a few oyster nicks (I use em for shore fishing as well).

You won't be disappointed.

Skeetex are obsolete IMO.

Last edited:

James Hathaway

Reaction score
Muckboots Tay simply the best warm weather boots out there.

You won't be disappointed.

Couldnt agree more, for this they are perfect,

now when its cold thats a different matter. Stand still for an hour or 2 hour when the temp is below 5c and you will have ice blocks for feet. In skeetex, muck boots, and baffins.

Now walking through snow you burn shed loads of calories and generate body heat, in this case the boots do a great job of retaining heat and by extension keep your feet warm.

B

Berty

I have stood still in water with cat ice in the margins for long periods with my muck boots.........i simply didn't think about my feet.

Muckboots get my vote.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got an old pair of Aigle wellies which I put a thermal insole in, I couple them with a nice pair of alpaca or merino wool socks and they keep my tootsies cosy down to -7, the coldest I have bothered to sit it out for barbel and actually catch one.