Money Generated by Angling.

cg74

Reaction score
Following on from a debate, it left me wondering what the goss turnover generated by angling actually is. I originally guessed a figure of £300 million - I based this on there being 3 million active anglers in the UK, spending an average of £100 per year.
But after a little more thought I reckon my conservative estimation is way short of the mark.

For example; I have had several angling breaks in the last year.
4 and 7 day breaks near Hereford, a week at White Acres, 4 days in Bournemouth.

Then thinking of how busy the likes of Linears are from the start of March through to the end of October. I'd imagine it'd gross well over a million pounds a year and White Acres even more, and they're only the tip of the iceberg.

So does anyone have an idea of how much money this sport is worth and roughly how many people are directly dependant on angling for their primary source of income?

B

binka

I reckon the original estimate was low too and it's one of those things that goes on and on depending on what you include.

Add in the cost of extra fuel used to get to venues which wouldn't have otherwise been used and the indulgent bacon butty on the way down there etc etc and it really starts to roll.

I can't find any recent figures but there's an old link here from 2006 quoting the trade then to be worth £515.806m... excluding fuel and bacon butties :)

National Trade Survey :: Angling Trades Association

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some economic sources but it as high as 3 billion+ over the uk as a whole this is sea coarse and game .

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
my spend is

£70 a year fro a club ticket
£5 a week on bait - that's an avaerage some weeks more some less (I include buying from supermarkets such a corn or meat)
£5 a week on avaerage on such items as hooks, swivels, line, shot ect

Thats £590 per year

Then there is one off venue payments for fishing different places, petrol

Then there is new rods and reels,

davebike

Reaction score
Club card & rod licence £100
Bait /ground bait etc averages at £10 a week £500
and I probably spend £300 on tackle a year

So that is £900

but I only run a car to go fishing so £150 maintenance & MOT £200 insurance and £500 in fuel £950
So getting there cost more the the rest !

Dave

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Then we have to take into account what angling is worth to the local economy.
Some 4-5 years ago there was a figure of about £4000 being generated for ever salmon taken from the river Tweed.

I tried to put forward the same argument for the Tyne anglers fighting the proposed new hydro scheme on the river at Hexam. Given that the Tyne is now considered to be the country's best salmon river that one river could generate more income for the local economy than any hydro scheme ever could.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It's somewhere between £2bn and £5bn depending on what and who you take into account, eg: Northern Ireland, Scotland, club cards, petrol, holidays, sandwiches and drinks even! Still not enough to shake the Government if it was banned though, I think that was the earlier point. I probably spend around £1000 per year, but please don't tell the wife.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
This year a weekend at Whiteacres - say 300, tackle about 300 day tickets about 60 quid bait about 40.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Doesn't take much thought to get to around £1000 p.a. for everyone on here, with tickets, licence, bait, end tackle and transport making a figure of about £20 per week a not unreasonable average.

Factor in:

Newcomers who will have to buy new tackle (three rods, three reels, pods, bivvy, wheelbarrow and all the camo clothing ;))

Match anglers who may spend £50 a week on bait alone.

The (occasional) new rod or reel

I would think the £5bn figure is closer to the truth

Warden

Reaction score
Think this quote came from the AT.
"Angling is enjoyed by about 4 million people and generates about £3.5 billion to the UK economy each year, and is the biggest participant sport in the country. And second highest in participant satisfaction."as mentioned earlier what area this covers is not stated

B

binka

Second biggest in participant satisfaction?

They're not doing it right... ;)