No license, get fined

J K

Reaction score
In our local paper this week is a report of a Derby man being fined £200 with £400 costs for fishing without a rod licence at Pipe Hill Pool Lichfield.

Specihunter

Reaction score
they had a big round up in bicester courts can't remember the fines but they caught a few .

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
The problem is that there is no consistancy in the amount of fines.

EA news

Surely a rising scale starting at £500 up to the maximum would deter those that angle for free.

John Heelis

Reaction score
I agree with Grumpy as to the consistancy of fines. Wouldn't it be better if there was a fixed penalty fine such as £500 per rod, then £750 per rod for repeat offences.

i'm only new to the sport but i bought my licence as soon as i got a rod, not because i'm a goody good shoes but because it's the right thing to do.

As for people fishing at commercial waters without a licence, should the fishery be held resposible for allowing it to happen? I've never fished a commercial but i assume that you buy your day ticket, or membership, from the baliffs or the waters bait shop. Are the folk selling tickets for the day checking that you have a valid licence.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
WhileI am in no way in favour with people getting away with not paying their licence fee the penalty has to be in keeping with the fines imposed for other offences. Is it a more serious offence than say; driving without insurance or shoplifting. I would have thought not, but the fines for bothas a first offence would probably be lower. I do however agree that there should always be a far, far,heavier fine for repeat offences.

J K

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>John Heelis wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

.........fishing at commercial waters without a licence, should the fishery be held resposible for allowing it to happen? .........</blockquote>The only time I've fished a commercial was the one mentioned in my post above where the chap from Derby was caught. There you fill out a form with your car registration on and post that and the money in a box by the entrance gate so in theory the owner may not even pick up the money until after you've finished fishing.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
driving with no insurance = crushed car - not your car? remove a hand

shoplifting = remove a hand

stop messing around with piffling fines, make an example of a few and watch the crime rate fall.

bait's out ............

Deanos

Reaction score
It IS the right thing to do, and if you haven't a lot of loot (we are all poor in Yorkshire!) then you appreciate forking out the cash a bit more.

If anyone is caught without a rod licence in Yorkshire, my mam will hit them over the head with a rolling pin!...and that's not funny I can tell you..so get one or else...RIGHT!

stephen webb

Reaction score
I think they should not only be fined, but have their tackle confiscated too. That would actually hit most of them harder than the actual fine.

The Monk

Reaction score
What i want to know is who is this Pond Girl and Miss Deepwater, they can confiscate my tackle anytime!

Nathan

Reaction score
I think part of the problem may be due to people going fishing but never being asked for a valid licence. I've been fishing for 6 years now and in that time I think i've had my licence checked a grand total of twice & both times were on a controlled section of canal near Marsworth. I've never been asked at a commercial which could lead people to think 'if they don't check then why should I bother'. Not the right attitude I know but I don't doubt that it happens.

Nathan

Reaction score
Also, I agree thatconfiscating your gear will hurt you a lot more than the fine - the EA could then auction the gear ebay style on their website for extra revenue. I know that i'd rather pay £200 than loose all of my gear!

stephen webb

Reaction score
I was asked for mine for the first time ever this year and as I have been fishing since I was about 4 and am now 47 thats a hell of a long time with out being checked.

Nathan you must just be lucky at Marsworth. Mine was checked when I fished a commercial (Royal Berkshire Fishery).

I also think more commercials should be like Twynersh, if you have no rod liscence they will not let you fish there. They will even check with the EA sometimes if you just happen to have forgotton to take it with you.

Stephen

mike reffold

Reaction score
yer your spot on, by the neck is to good , somewhere else is better/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

SETH MORGAN

Reaction score
Agree that licence doggers should get it in the neck all ways round, and elsewhere to.

I think the problem is not enough E.A staff to do the checks.

I have only had my licence checked 3 times in as long as I can remember. It was checked 3 times on the Wye last year when I was GAME fishing.

I think that may be an answer. game fisheries are being checked most often, coarse fisheries are more than often ignored.

I agree that all day ticket waters should request a view of your licenceBEFORE issuing you with a ticket, but then all they want is your money most of them so it's not in their interest to check. They may lose a customer cos that what you are to them, giving them your dosh.No excuse I know, but that may be the reality.

If day ticket water owners were fined the same amount as each angler caught without a licence on their site, things might change, but then pigs might fly.

SETH

Winston Churchill

Reaction score
Good grief, there's some right codswallop being spouted on this thread. What about the poor bloke who simply forgot? A fairweather angler that doesn't do winters and wasn't aware that his licence had expired? An occasional angler in possession of all his club books and all his previous rod licences? I'm all for throwing the book at habitual licence dodgers, poachers and the like but imo there has to be some discretion shown.

According to fisheries team leader John Shannon, "Our staff are better equipped than ever. With access to databases at the switch of a mobile phone enforcement officers can verify address and licence details, including whether they purchased a licence the previous year." If that's the case and the angler in question has always bought a licence in the past then surely the most he deserves is nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Like most other anglers I buy my club books in December/January because they run from January to December, a point not lost on Keith Arthur who mentions that fact in his column in this weeks AT. His suggestion that, 'It's time to change this outdated system of licence sales' can't come quick enough for me. As far as I'm concerned EA officers flooding the banks in the first week of April to 'nick' all and sundry including honest anglers of previous impeccable character, guilty of nothing more than a slight oversight and tarring them with the same brush as ne'r do wells and habitual criminals is not the way they should be going about their business.

Chris Elwis999

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Winston Churchill wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>What about the poor bloke who simply forgot? A fairweather angler that doesn't do winters and wasn't aware that his licence had expired? An occasional angler in possession of all his club books and all his previous rod licences? </blockquote>

Then he should know better, You need a licence to fish and he would know that better than most, so there's no excuse.

I buy my licence every year, I make sure I have it in my tackle box ready to produce if I am required to do so, whats the big hardship with that.

If you have not got a licence don't fish, bring in standard fixed penalties, £200 for the first offence, £500 for the second offence, £1000 for the third offence and confiscate the tackle of repeat offenders.

Anglers think nothing of spending a lot of money on the latest bit of kit or bait, how many poundsworth of gear do you take to the lake or river with you to enjoy your favourite pastime. A carp or pike angler two decent rods, reels, bivvy etc etc maybe total cost being six or seven hundred pounds or more. So £25.00 for a licence to use rod and line is not that much in the grand scheme of things, is it.