Big fish waiting to be caught

Andy M

Reaction score
Are there any official or semi official records of specimen fish that exceed the current official rod caught records that have been caught in rivers and lakes by other means than rod and line and released back into the water? Does anyone know of any such fish - and I don't mean - the one that got away :) .

barbelboi

Reaction score
There are many rod caught specimens, some clubs/syndicates prohibit publicity - also many other fish will not get reported outside a close few, especially on rivers, as the circus would be in town the next day.
Jerry

Andy M

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry, I didn't know that but it does of course make a lot of sense. But do you or any other members know of actual species and weights on any of these? How many records have been broken without us poor mortals knowing about it I wonder?

terry m

Reaction score
I think Jerry is spot on. Publicity shy syndicates ensure this.

Large carp waters that are fueled with boilies produce enormous bream and tench, often the captors see them almost as a nuisance and are sometimes unaware of the potential significance.

That said, the rod caught record list does not - IMHO - hold anywhere near the value and kudos that it once did. There could be many contributors to that.

cg74

Reaction score
I think Jerry is spot on. Publicity shy syndicates ensure this.

Large carp waters that are fueled with boilies produce enormous bream and tench, often the captors see them almost as a nuisance and are sometimes unaware of the potential significance.

That said, the rod caught record list does not - IMHO - hold anywhere near the value and kudos that it once did. There could be many contributors to that.

Yep: Mark McKenna talks about his record bream

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

I'd wager that a claim for the chub and barbel records gets submitted either sometime this season or next. Both caught by the same angler and both from the Thames (or should that be the Wey?).;)

goonch

Reaction score
If I caught a record I'm almost certain I wouldn't make it public knowledge. I'm fishing one water that could produce the goods for one particular species if I really made an effort. The thing is though that water receives very little pressure from other anglers and I'd like to keep it that way :wh