Least written about fish...

pertinaxone

Reaction score
After following this link Angling Escapism from another post on here, it got me thinking... What is the least written about fish?

From the link, it looks like Pike and Barbel are extremely popular and I`m sure there are plenty of books about Carp and Roach...

Need to do more angling related reading :)

Jason

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Loach
Allis Shad
Burbot
Twaite Shad
Three Spined Stickleback

Don't suppose there is a prize for the most obscure, but I bet Paul Greenacre hasn't got videos of any of those being caught.........!!!!

flightliner

Reaction score
Thwaite Shad turned up in the tidal trent in a match some years ago-- Colin Dyson was in said match and reported it in an evening paper ,
I pretty much agree with your list tho, interesting.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Miller's Thumb - Bull head

newsjeff7.jpg

jack sprat

Reaction score
Amazing how little there is about rudd. I don't know of any single book on them although some multi-species books cover them.

kfish

Reaction score
^^^That fish is like one of those little yappy dogs that looks so ugly it becomes a thing of beauty.

Alburnus alburnus,
Bleak, so often the pest fish of the inconsiderate angler are a wonderful little ray of silver sunshine on a winters day.
Bleak are friendly and sociable,you never see a bleak on its own do you?.
Sub surface silver surfers, bleak are cool.
Bleak could make a man into a world champion.
lets have a book about bleak Mr Yates.

goonch

Reaction score
Amazing how little there is about rudd. I don't know of any single book on them although some multi-species books cover them.

There is a volume in the "how to catch them" series but so far as I know that is the only book written solely about rudd.

Of all the major coarse species I reckon rudd must be the least written about.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a volume in the "how to catch them" series but so far as I know that is the only book written solely about rudd.

Of all the major coarse species I reckon rudd must be the least written about.

There are a fair few books on rudd and rudd fishing the latest one that I know of is Graham Marsdens Big Rudd.

terry m

Reaction score
Loach
Allis Shad
Burbot
Twaite Shad
Three Spined Stickleback

Don't suppose there is a prize for the most obscure, but I bet Paul Greenacre hasn't got videos of any of those being caught.........!!!!

Does anyone else remember the AT competition back in the mid 70's offering £25 (i think, but may have been £100) for a confirmed Burbot capture? I don't think anybody actually won it.

goonch

Reaction score
There are a fair few books on rudd and rudd fishing the latest one that I know of is Graham Marsdens Big Rudd.

Have you got any further details of that one? ISBN? Publisher? I've never heard of it. Nor have I heard of any others that deal solely with rudd other than the 'how to catch them' book from 1957. If you've got any details I'd be glad to hear of them as I love my rudd fishing.

I also love single species books as they are generally written by an author who has a real passion and knowledge for the species and so they go into far greater depth than mixed species books.

jack sprat

Reaction score
I think he means Mark Wintle's (co-author for three other books with Graham Marsden) 'Big roach' that came out last year.

So for rudd:

How to Catch Them: Rudd - J G Roberts
Roach and Rudd - Jimmy Randell
Roach, Rudd and Bream - J W Martin
Catch Roach, Rudd and Dace - John Wilson

Last edited: