Question for the Big Pit carp boys

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Hy Boys,

I normally post on the Coarse thread, but have popped over for some expert advice from the carp lads... Is it correct that many of the top big-pit carp reels have bail arms which are designed not to close automatically when the handle is turned. ie you have to close it by hand? If so, is this to stop you being whacked by the big spring which would be necessary to close it, or is it just that you don't need that option whilst carp fishing. Just asking, as most coarse reels do close automatically. With the big-pit carp reels being so expensive, there must be a reason behind it. The model I am actually talking about is the Daiwa Tournament Basia QD45 reel... does anyone on this site actually use one (or work for Daiwa), as I would like to know the reel story /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Many thanks,

Trev

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
I may have answered the question myself... I'm told that if the reels are fitted to a rod, they WILL close automatically. Sounds odd I know, but I was trying them just holding the foot of the reel and could not get them to close. When fitted to a rod, the arm WILL close, as you will be giving the handles a bit more "oomph". The reason the bail arms don't close more easily, is that with the bigger leads likely to be used with this reel (which can cast a VERY, VERY long way, you DON'T want the bail arm closing halfway through a cast! Not unless you fancy losing the top of your head anyway. I hadn't thought about this, but obviously, Daiwa HAD /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif. I knew there must be a reason.

Now I'll return to the coarse thread with my tail between my legs and try not to ask Noddy questions again /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Cheers,

Trev

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Yes Roto,

It was just not as easy to close by turning the handle as I was expecting.... Just about impossible if just holding the reel. Mounted on a rod, it can be done, but I suppose that due to the "safety factor" (ie not wanting the handle to turn a little during a cast and closing the arm accidently), it may be best to close it by hand afterwards.

Cheers,

Trev

PS: No, they are NOT mine... I couldn't afford a spare spool, let alone an actual reel./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
The diawa Basia and the Shimano Poweraeros do not have the auto bail arm shutting feature. I beleive this is due to the problem off accidental bail arm closure on casting.

I have the Basias and many other big pit reels and have never found the bail arm not shutting automatically an issue. Coming from a match background with all my match reels having lthe auto shut feature I thought it would give me issues but it doesnt.

C

Cakey

the clunk of a pit reel traveling down the line worries me so I always do it manually

well that and I dont want to break it

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
Cheers Ian and Cakey...

Many thanks for your input. Nice to know the story from people who actually use such reels.

Trev

C

Cakey

come along to a fish-in and you can have a go on one of mine....................